Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Youre talking about HYDROSHOCKs. I know they are loaded in 9 and 45, so my guess is they are available in 38. They were "supposed" to be good; but then I was the guy who carried Glassers, Black Talons, and backward loaded wadcutters. I think we also used a drill to make hollow points from solid lead bullets back then (or at least enlarge the tiny cavity in some factory HPs)

When it comes to a snubby in 38, I figure its better than harsh words and itll work at bad breath range better than a kick in the shin
    Some years ago I had black florida pine snake living under tarp that was protecting a ladder. I felt ornery one day and with an old model 10 smith and wesson decided to shoot the little snake. I had the equivalent of 125 grain hydroshocks in it. Fixed sighted guns are generally regulated for specific load. With my eyesight and the regulation the the nyclads were shooting low. And 3 shots missed the snake. I figured what was happening and aimed a little higher and the bottom jaw of the now agitated black snake disappeared. It was actually as I recall a 125 grain nyclad from federal. A good load, but any anytime you change the ballistics revolvers tend not to shot to point of aim. Most J frames have fixed sights.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Way better loads to use now a days, the old highway 200 was met to be used in 4" to 6" N frames and the big Colts, load wasn't worth a damn unless it struck bone, used it once, and switched back to the 44spl due to its lack. the reversed wadcutter is another old timer, used them for years in belly guns, tried all the newer factory loads with the "beefed up wad cutter, they all work about the same, "J" frames and Dick SPl's now I load up with the 135 grain, or some times the old fashion Chicago load, 148 SWC laed hollow point +p, that load has never failed me
    All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.

Samuel Butler

FACIEM TUAM, DOMINC, REQUIRAM

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJames View Post
    Way better loads to use now a days, the old highway 200 was met to be used in 4" to 6" N frames and the big Colts, load wasn't worth a damn unless it struck bone, used it once, and switched back to the 44spl due to its lack. the reversed wadcutter is another old timer, used them for years in belly guns, tried all the newer factory loads with the "beefed up wad cutter, they all work about the same, "J" frames and Dick SPl's now I load up with the 135 grain, or some times the old fashion Chicago load, 148 SWC laed hollow point +p, that load has never failed me
    Is this the wadcutter version you mentioned?

20518649-E300-45D1-969B-FDCB30F2EB9F.jpg

"J" yep that was one, we tried hollow based. and double ended, close up belly shot and the hollow leaves a impressive hole, the double ended went deeper and flattened more than expand, doesn't mean a hoot but the "wad" loads are great fun on blowing Pins
    All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.

Samuel Butler

FACIEM TUAM, DOMINC, REQUIRAM

38 target wadcutters are advocated by Dr. Gary Roberts for use in lightweight revolvers for BUG for their deep penetration and better wound cutting properties compared to round nose or to hollowpoints that didn't expand at the low velocities and for the much lower recoil and faster follow up shots compared to higher recoiling HPs that do expand well from 2 inch bbls. (e.g. 135 GDs, 130 Ranger, dpx etc.) Penetration is usually in excess of 16 inches so quite adequate and the full wadcutters do cut better wound channels compared to RN bullets. They usually shoot close to the fixed sights on my J frames as well. FWIW Chuck Haggard also has said that he carries the 38 WC load in his BUG.

I don't see anyone advocating or even talking about the old 200gr 38 loads anymore. Not sure what those bullets could give that cannot be done adequately with 158 or 148 gr. bullets.

Based on the above considerations the 148 WC load is what is in my 642 in my pocket while typing this.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    Is this the wadcutter version you mentioned?

20518649-E300-45D1-969B-FDCB30F2EB9F.jpg
    If you are reloading reversed .38 wadcutter one must be aware that they extend deeper in the case, especially if loaded flush to the case mouths. Those in the picture are loaded a little out which does not result in the reduction of powder space so much. Reduce power space in the shell and put a heavy load in there and that load could easily go +P+ with a fast powder.
    I played with those one in a cheapo copy of a chiefs special and at 50 ft they were keyholing. But then at bad breath ranges key holing of a long hollow base wadcutter is just fine.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez