https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...d/95-569777009

CLEVELAND Federal authorities have arrested a man who allegedly planned a terrorist-style attack in downtown Cleveland on July 4.

The FBI said Demetrius Nathaniel Pitts -- aka Abdur Raheem Rafeeq -- was taken into custody Sunday around 10 a.m. on accusations of attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.

"He talked about wanting to target people watching fireworks over downtown Cleveland," United States Attorney Justin Herdman said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...-sting-n888336

An Ohio man was charged Monday with plotting a Fourth of July terrorist bombing in Cleveland after a sting operation by the FBI, which gave him a bus pass so he could travel to scope out targets.

"I'm gonna be downtown when the thing go off," Demetrius Pitts, 48, told an undercover FBI employee posing as an al Qaeda sympathizer, according to a federal complaint. "I'm gonna be somewhere 'cause I wanna see it go off."

There's no indication that Pitts could have carried off any attack on his own. The criminal complaint suggests he viewed his role as planning and surveillance and did not want to be involved in obtaining or building any explosives.

But FBI Special Agent in Charge Stephen Anthony said authorities had no choice but to investigate whether Pitts, an ex-con, was all talk.

After more alarming Facebook comments in 2017, the FBI took a closer look and determined that Pitts was interested in joining al Qaeda, training overseas and returning to the U.S. to stage an attack, the complaint said.

Pitts allegedly also said he was interested in doing reconnaissance in Philadelphia, where he had lived. "Pitts indicated it was his 'job' to 'go look at the base of the ground,' and that it was up to other 'brothers' to complete the other parts of the job," the complaint said.

Things to Consider

1) Ex-con - likely converted and radicalized in prison -- no reports state this. A terrorist probably won't "look like" a terrorist.

2) Not competent - Unable to complete the tasks, but willing to be a useful idiot to terrorists. Terrorists can take all shapes, sizes, and skill levels. Looking at the difference between this guy and the Mumbai teams, and even San Bernardino, we see that the training takes place overseas, whether in person or online. But the level of training is varied. You could be facing armored, small team tactics trained guys, or a radicalized flunkie.

3) Pre-attack - FB posts. He became vocal about his radical beliefs and threatened violence publicly.*

What else am I missing?*

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk