Default THE INDIAN OR THE ARROW?

THE INDIAN OR THE ARROW?

Monday, June 25, 2018

We have all heard the analogy of the indian and the arrow. It is true, a skilled indian - or in this case "archer" - can do amazing things with less than optimal equipment...and we all hope to be that man. But the skilled archer with the best arrow and bow will be able to express his skills to a much higher level than if he was equipped with less optimal gear.

I have a S&W 686 in my safe. It is the epitome of the police service pistol circa 1985. It went with me into harm's way for many years, and if it is what I had in my belt when I faced a trio of terrorists, I would be very thankful for it and go into battle smiling knowing that I would accomplish my mission well and artfully. But if I had a choice, and of course we all do, I would opt for what I am carrying now - a Suarez modified Glock 17 - as it would afford me the ability to express my skills with greater ease, greater safety, and for a longer time than my old 686.

One big failing in American culture today seems to be an all or nothing mentality on things. Life is not that way. So if a guy enrolls in ten classes and brings a Kel-Tec or Ruger LCR with him, I would tell him to only enroll in two classes, sell that Zimm-wannabe gun, and get something that will allow him to fight better. The reverse is often the case...and we see him as well...the dude with a $3000 pistol that could not fight his way out of the morgue.

And it doesn't need to be that way at all guys. A couple of analogies.

When my daughter was on a rowing crew, the school needed a new boat and was waffling on going the cheap route and buying a less than optimal boat thinking the "great indians" crewing it would make up the difference. But that difference was greater resistance in the water, more weight, and thus less speed. We made up the difference to get the better boat and it made all the difference for them.

Great rowers in a low quality boat, no matter how good they were, would NEVER be as good as great rowers in a great boat.

Another analogy...this from pop culture. There was a commercial on Fox Business News (some sort of investment that I do not recall). It went like this. "If an Olympic cyclist on a racing bike raced a ten year old kid on a tricycle who would win? The Olympic cyclist of course. But put the Olympian on the tricycle and the race will be won by the kid on the racing bike".

The indian may be more important than the arrow, but only very slightly so. The quality of the arrow, boat, or pistol either allows the man wielding it to express his skills to his highest level, or it fights him every step of the way, preventing him from being his best. So yes, be a good archer, rower, shooter...but don't cheap out on your gear, mistakenly thinking skill alone will help you hit the cowboy.

So while one man might say the archer is more important than the arrow. We say that at the end of the day, the archer and the arrow are of equal importance.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Like you said, this goes back to that simplistic black-or-white thinking. It's not just the Indian, or just the arrow. At Suarez International and those on WT, we strive for greatness. You can't reach the top without top-of-the-line equipment, or without top-of-the-line training. Conveniently, we have both in one place.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Formerly "ericmt"

As we have always said, skill and equipment in accord. If you're a skillful shooter, get the equipment that will allow that skill to be leveraged to its full potential. If you have great equipment, get the requisite skill to leverage all of the accuracy out of that equipment.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    As we have always said, skill and equipment in accord. If you're a skillful shooter, get the equipment that will allow that skill to be leveraged to its full potential. If you have great equipment, get the requisite skill to leverage all of the accuracy out of that equipment.
    I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's hard to really understand how helpful top-notch equipment is until you actually use it, just like it can be hard to understand how useful top-tier training is until you actually attend it. Usually, you don't know what you don't know.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Formerly "ericmt"

It is the Indian since the arrow will do nothing with out the Indian. Of course the Indian will be better with quality arrows.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Gear and skill in accord, absolutely.

I've never understood those that go cheap on gear that is intended to save your life or others. If you would talk to people who climb and suggested using forty year gold line because you got a great deal on it at a garage sale they'd laugh and call you a dumbass, and you'd have it coming.

Buy the best gear you can afford, if all you can buy is junk, don't, save your money until you can get something decent. This goes for everything, guns, blades, clothes. food and drink.

Jim Miller
    ISA 6:8

So true.

You don’t see ANY highest-level Olympic or top professional athletes in any gear-necessary sports endeavor use anything other than the best, fastest, lightest, most technologically advanced equipment. Anything to give them any edge, in nanoseconds, milligrams, etc.

If you have spent the time to develop even a slightly above-average skill set... WHY wouldn’t you invest in the best equipment you can possibly afford if the end result is life or death, not just some colored-alloyed medal or trophy?

Thank you SI for the information, the philosophy, the training... And the gear to allow it’s greatest and fullest expression.

The Italian in me is quite certain that DaVinci did not paint his masterpieces with a donkey’s tail.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES