Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    I like the western thing as much as anybody--I still have my Grandpa's ranch rifle complete with its well-worn saddle scabbard. But if I lived in a state with too many restrictions and I still wanted a rifle for defensive use I'd probably be looking for something like this from Mossberg:

Attachment 55925

I know it looks cheesy but in this case it would be function over form.
    If you do not mind I might post this in a humor thread somewhere. Where did you originally find that photo?
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Itís a mossburg. I looked at them too, any couldnít figure out why anyone would want one. But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    Itís a mossburg. I looked at them too, any couldnít figure out why anyone would want one. But to each his own.
    Wow, it is a real commercially offered gun.

464ô SPX Lever Action Centerfire Rifles

464 SPX offers a new twist to a classic line of lever-actions, and brings new era of lever actions to todayís hunters and shooters.

They need to fold the end of the lever into a pistol grip while they are at it and also fit a box or drum magazine.

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    If you do not mind I might post this in a humor thread somewhere. Where did you originally find that photo?
    http://www.mossberg.com/product/464-...n-rifle-41026/

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    How am I missing the point? Was not the original story about how you wanted something you could carry in the car that wouldn't get you in trouble if it was discovered by LE, but still be useful in a fight?

The obvious assumption is that you don't (legally) have access to anything better, but you still want something more than a handgun if needed and you've decided you want to add a rifle to your options. Last I checked, bad guys don't stay indoors after dark in blue states. How are you going to mount a light to a traditional setup? And why would you want wood on a rifle that's going to be kicked around and exposed to adverse environments?

If it's for looking pretty, make it look pretty. If it's for fighting, do what you can to optimize if for fighting. Many people say Glocks are ugly (myself included), and I'd bet many used to say that red dots looked stupid. I don't see anybody around here letting that affect their choices...

In the words of the kids..."whatever".

I would not carry a rifle if that ugly f*ckstick was all I could get ... sorry...that is how i see it.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Part of the benefit of a lever is the clean lines it has. If you start messing with that, it changes the handling characteristics.

Aside from the fuckery of how it looks...this thing is going to handle differently and for ME, would remove any desire to even touch the thing. This abomination reminds me of gluing scuba fins to a golf club.

If for some reason I absolutely had to have a light on a lever gun, I'd figure out something else. There are gunsmiths that will do custom work.

Re-read this part of Gabe's article:

If I had a similar situation today I would likely opt for the braced Stakeout over the 30-30. But if you have your heart set on a Combat 30-30, here is what I suggest you do. Ignore all the naysayers that bemoan the poor quality of the modern lever action rifle. Today all American mass produced weapons will in fact need a trip to the custom gunsmith to make them into what they should be. That is a fact of life.
    It is in fact quite easy to add a light to a braced Stakeout. And it does not negatively impact the handling of the gun.

It is not so easy to add a light to a lever gun. And I would not compromise the handling characteristics of a good lever gun just to add a light. But custom work is an option if you absolutely must.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

It looks like a piece of shit. Not only is it a mossburg for his sakes, it looks like a tapco stock. I wouldn’t let even a not so good friend buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    But it could be an offensive or counter attack weapon if you set it up properly. Right?
    For sure. But it's so far down my list of guns I would grab in an emergency that for my purposes it doesn't matter. Just want one.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

This is a guy who regularly shoots at the local range. He's using a 30-30 and hand loads to connect at 500 yds in this video.

https://youtu.be/FyGabMeRlnU

I don't post this to insinuate that we should all drop our match grade .308's etc... just to highlight that the 30-30 is better than most give it credit for, and plenty sufficient for anti-personal use in the 200yd range.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    That has got to be the UGLIEST and most USELESS firearm I have ever seen.

As far as I am concerned it is a terrible solution to a non-existent problem.
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson