Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I think some are getting lost in the weeds over what the gun is chambered in. Take the concept and adapt it to what you think will best suit you. Then take whatever it is and lean to run it fast and hard. Its not that complicated.
    Yep. The 45.70 will kill a grizzly, and the 30-30 outperforms the 300blk in almost every way...in a much more "gray" package. I don't know why people are making this more complicated than that.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post
    Properly loaded 357 mag from a 16inch barrel has the same energy as a 5.56 from an m16. With much better close range ballistics.

I dont see why a 357/38 should not be considered. It is hardly a 'pistol caliber' when loaded hot from a full length gun. Few more rounds on board is usually a good thing.

Heres an old article for those interested on 357 from pistols and rifles: http://leverguns.com/articles/paco/3...literature.htm
    Winchester 94 Trapper w/ 16" bbl. 9+1 rounds of .357 goodness... but not a gun I want to cut on. However, for those who like the .357 in this role, the new Marlin 1894 CST and CSBL may be the ticket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Nice article. The original lever action article was one of my first exposures to Gabe. I will make a lever action my next purchase.

The only reason I want any kind of lever gun is because the Wild West ethos speaks to me. That's enough justification in my book.

It wouldn't be a "defensive" gun. I don't think the caliber even matters, for my purposes. I just want one.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    The only reason I want any kind of lever gun is because the Wild West ethos speaks to me. That's enough justification in my book.

It wouldn't be a "defensive" gun. I don't think the caliber even matters, for my purposes. I just want one.
    But it could be an offensive or counter attack weapon if you set it up properly. Right?

I like the western thing as much as anybody--I still have my Grandpa's ranch rifle complete with its well-worn saddle scabbard. But if I lived in a state with too many restrictions and I still wanted a rifle for defensive use I'd probably be looking for something like this from Mossberg:

41026-catalog-new.jpg

I know it looks cheesy but in this case it would be function over form.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    I like the western thing as much as anybody--I still have my Grandpa's ranch rifle complete with its well-worn saddle scabbard. But if I lived in a state with too many restrictions and I still wanted a rifle for defensive use I'd probably be looking for something like this from Mossberg:

41026-catalog-new.jpg

I know it looks cheesy but in this case it would be function over form.
    That thing just hurts the eyeballs in so many ways.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

That’s what it looks like when you turn a lever gun into a cheap ar.

You can buy a dirt bike.

You can by a road bike.

You can buy a road bike with off-road capability, or a dirt bike that is street legal, but both are compromises to one extent or another.

Pick one. Or two. Or all them if you have the funds for it. Buy what you want and do what you want.

But I think it's not ideal to try turning your road bike into a dirt bike.

The lever gun is good at certain things. Some enhancements can easily be made to it that don't detract from it's strong points. But at a certain point, changes to the gun start to detract from its strengths.

I like lever guns and think they have their place. But at a certain point...if you want other features just buy something else.

I have sympathy for those who aren't able to move to a free state, but if you want to stay legal you're just going to have to accept compromises. At the end of the day, that's just too fucking bad.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR