Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaDS View Post
    Seems like this would be a solid candidate to build out:

Marlin 336 30-30 Youth Wood Stock. 30-30, 16 barrel, short stock. LOP could be adjusted/customized pretty easily.

Attachment 55921
    I have one of those in my office...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 94 in 30-30 that was a gift from my dad, before he went to his next assignment. I'm going to have to bring it out of the safe for a face lift and a little exercise.

Jim Miller
    ISA 6:8

Properly loaded 357 mag from a 16inch barrel has the same energy as a 5.56 from an m16. With much better close range ballistics.

I dont see why a 357/38 should not be considered. It is hardly a 'pistol caliber' when loaded hot from a full length gun. Few more rounds on board is usually a good thing.

Heres an old article for those interested on 357 from pistols and rifles: http://leverguns.com/articles/paco/3...literature.htm

I have my Dad’s 94 in 30-30 in my safe. First thing he bought when he came to this country from Italy in 1968. Along with a pair of cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. Bought them all at Sears, and walked out with all of them plus a box of 30-30 soft-points in a few minutes. (Oh, lamentations for the old California...) He grew up idolizing the American West. (Why he became a cop a few years later.)

I’m lucky my Dad is still around. (And still qualifying at “expert” with his original-issue Sig P-226 20 years into retirement.)

But I still don’t think I can cut on HIS 94. Will need to buy a 336 Youth and then hope that this thread inspires SI to consider doing the work...
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

I've got one because, well, you never know.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

I'm a little confused... if a light is a good thing on an AR intended for defensive applications, why wouldn't you want to also mount a light on a lever-action? The application is the same, so why would the type of gun change anything?

I get really tempted by Lever Guns. True to my personal form, I fret over pistol VS rifle calibers and short VS long barrels. Add to that modern mag fed lever guns (Browning/Henry) for modern rifle cartridges like 308. In the role Gabe describes, as what we might have called a number of years back "A Get Home Rifle" and as a cheaper (than AR) and PC looking option, I think the short 30-30 is about perfect--plus it can also fill in as a hunting rifle for East Coast size Whitetail etc.

I too had been a fan of Ghost Ring sights, theres still a fondness in my heart for Jeff Coopers ideals; but I have wondered how much Ghost Rings improve a Lever Gun VS how much the traditional sights can be improved and the costs for doing either. I think big improvements can be made to the traditional rear sight by opening it and making sighting faster at the cost of less precision--again if its a short range weapon, it seems some precision might be sacrificed for speed.

Even a Model 92 in .454 Casull? Carries more bullets than a 30-30.

I think some are getting lost in the weeds over what the gun is chambered in. Take the concept and adapt it to what you think will best suit you. Then take whatever it is and lean to run it fast and hard. Its not that complicated.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I think some are getting lost in the weeds over what the gun is chambered in. Take the concept and adapt it to what you think will best suit you. Then take whatever it is and lean to run it fast and hard. Its not that complicated.
    Exactly