Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I think it would be pretty sweet to do a 38 super lever plus 1911. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I know you can step up the power with magnum cartridges, but when you can have a Glock PDW in 357 or 10mm (or even some of those boutique 45 rounds), I just don't see that a pistol lever gun is worthwhile. I'm always about WANT but I'd want a lever gun to give me what I can't get anywhere else.
    The best use for pistol-caliber lever guns is teaching youngsters to love shooting. They are also good for TASI with jihadist jack rabbits.

My first rifle was a 45LC *Marlin. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why I ever sold it.

*Edited to correct: Had a brain fart. It was an old Winchester not a Marlin. All my newer ones are Marlins.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 06-20-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    The best use for pistol-caliber lever guns is teaching youngsters to love shooting. They are also good for TASI with jihadist jack rabbits.

My first rifle was a 45LC Marlin. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why I ever sold it.
    Yeah what were you thinking...lol.

I see no valid reason for a lever action in a pistol caliber for other than cowboy cos-play.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

It would definitely defeat the purpose of it utility, that’s for sure.

I think this is a great concept that still has real value in today’s world, especially in places where the law is unreasonably restrictive. (CA, NY, MA, etc.)

A reasonably modernized lever-gun, set up specifically for anti-personnel work. Exactly as Mr. Suarez described: Improve the factory irons, mount an RMR, tune/slick the action/trigger. Nothing more than what is needed for it work as well as it could. (All the “tacticool” rails and stocks and giant scopes can be left to those other companies that still haven’t figured out that “cool” actually means maximum effectiveness and efficiency.)

Would SI have any interest in doing the work on a customer-supplied rifle?
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

This is why I have the Marlin 30/30 in my closet!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Seems like this would be a solid candidate to build out:

Marlin 336 30-30 Youth Wood Stock. 30-30, 16” barrel, short stock. LOP could be adjusted/customized pretty easily.

20A44909-F3B9-4A37-8CF5-8BFF96CBC41F.jpg
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I also still like some of the pistol calibers (357, 44 and 45 Colt) though I really can't justify them to myself. I believe that liking/wanting something is all the justification needed...BUT, I normally buy stuff only when I think it does the job better than anything else (even if only a niche within a niche). I just can't think of anything a pistol caliber lever does better than other choices.
    There is one small niche - a suppressed Marlin 1894 with typical 158gr 38 Special can be quieter than just about anything else except a .22 LR. It is considerably quieter than any semi-auto centerfire, and the action noise is less than a typical pump rifle. See, now you can justify one.
    (Go with the Marlin, not the Winchester, for the faster barrel twist rate with heavy subsonic bullets.)

A bolt action 38 Spl (Ruger 77/357) can be just as quiet, but they're a pretty boring gun IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    There is one small niche - a suppressed Marlin 1894 with typical 158gr 38 Special can be quieter than just about anything else except a .22 LR. It is considerably quieter than any semi-auto centerfire, and the action noise is less than a typical pump rifle. See, now you can justify one.
    (Go with the Marlin, not the Winchester, for the faster barrel twist rate with heavy subsonic bullets.)

A bolt action 38 Spl (Ruger 77/357) can be just as quiet, but they're a pretty boring gun IMO.
    Like a modern DeLisle!
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES