Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    I picked up a new 336Y. Quality seems to have improved.
    I tried some different open sight options, but my aging eyes work better with the Skinner ghost and bear buster front blade.
    I'm really liking this rifle, I have been working the loading gate to loosen her up.

When I lived in Minneapolis I kept a Marlin 30/30 that was cut down to 16.5" with Ghost Ring Sights as my house gun. It was as low profile and not one of those extremely lethal AR15's that sent the snowflakes screaming in terror. After all, it's just a deer rifle!
    Captain Dave Funk
    Operator, BlaserPro.com

Being a refugee from the Peoples' Republic of California, I set up a couple of my lever actions similar to Gabe's recommendations. These were meant to take the place of the "Assault Weapons" I couldn't use until I got moved to Arizona. I have a Marlin in .357 that I mounted a butt stock cartridge holder to. I mounted the XS long rail and ghost ring sights on it, primarily so I could use the rail for an RDS. I also have a Mossberg 336 in .30-30. I also added the butt stock cartridge holder and XS ghost ring sights with an RDS. On that rifle, I replaced the stock wood with a synthetic stock for weather resistance and durability. Both have slings mounted. I've found both to be very easy to handle and quite accurate with .357 loads from 125 gr, JHP to 180 gr. JHP and .30-30 loads from 125 gr. JHP to 170 gr. SJFP. I think Gabe has had the right idea since he started carrying something similar in his car in the '90s. Having been freed from the PRK, I'm now free to have the ARs and handguns I want, but I saw these rifles, in combination with a 7 or 8 shot S&W or Ruger .357 revolver as a last ditch position if things really got out of hand before I could leave there. Think I got out just in time.

A Ranger Point Precision loading gate solved the problem, inexpensive and easy install.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    I like the western thing as much as anybody--I still have my Grandpa's ranch rifle complete with its well-worn saddle scabbard. But if I lived in a state with too many restrictions and I still wanted a rifle for defensive use I'd probably be looking for something like this from Mossberg:

Attachment 55925

I know it looks cheesy but in this case it would be function over form.
    While I love the sights, muzzle brake and recoil pad; but I'd prefer these features on a Henry or Marlin lever gun, also.
    The 2cd Amendment has no technological cut off date!
    The extermination of Islam before my dhimmitude!
    8-10-3 forever!
    The operative formerly known as Pug Puppy
    COBRA!

Quote Originally Posted by Destro View Post
    While I love the sights, muzzle brake and recoil pad; but I'd prefer these features on a Henry or Marlin lever gun, also.

Agreed, I hate the look of an M-Lock fore end on a lever gun, but it seems to be a thing right now. There are companies out there who are doing all sorts of things w/ Marlin lever guns- porting, barrel cuts and threading, forearms, shell carriers, action jobs, etc.- a lot of it aimed at taming the 45/70.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Gabe's rifle back then would have fit into the 60" lots of badge carrying and others carried the lever gun, I remember, those carried by the Rangers of that time and the grandfathers all to the tune of short barrels for car carry, my favorite that went to a son years ago was a copy of one I saw and had done up. and have been tempted to do another now that the Rossi is offered or was in 454. mine was in 30-30 16" barrel scout scope mount, the original leopy pistol scope, old steel Redfield peep sight and enlarged loop leather wrapped always kept it stocked up with the old remington170 flatpoint, believe it would have worked
    All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.

Samuel Butler

FACIEM TUAM, DOMINC, REQUIRAM