Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    A SOT I know made a few of those into SBRs a couple years ago. Really cool little guns. I can see why they would have been popular back before the '34 law. Nostalgic by today's standards, high speed back at the turn of the last century.

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    I want to do the same with a .357. It will have to wait until a few of the items on the list that are closer to “need” get taken care of but I would definitely like to do it eventually.
    I have a .357 Marlin 20" that's threaded to accept my 9mm Osprey. I really like that combination. 130 grain FMJ .38 Special sounds like subsonic .22 rimfire and is very accurate to 50 yards. Haven't tried a hunting load yet. I plan on getting into handloading later this year -- my son has a complete set up, so all I need are the dies. I've read about 200 grain wadcutters that do a decent job on pigs. I've since added a XS Scout Mount for a RDS and a yet to be purchase 2x scope.

20170814_194735.jpg
    20170819_220408.jpg
    20170819_220624.jpg

I've a Dead Air .45 Ghost M coming in soon -- I hope -- so I'm looking forward to trying that one, too. Neither the Osprey nor the Ghost M are rated for magnums, which would have been cool but not really necessary. To be honest, I have other guns (Remington 7 300 BO and a Ruger American 7.62x39) that work better with suppressors, but I just love having the levergun option. Plus, there's the Teddy Roosevelt factor to consider.

Roosevelt-Suppressed-94-30-30-for-Varmints-on-Sagamore-Hill.jpg

I've an LEO friend who deer hunts with a 45-70 Marlin Guide gun and a Silencerco Hybrid. He's a picky bastard, but he is a big fan of that combination. He makes his own subsonic loads, I think he said about 300 grains, but I dunno for sure ... I've yet to shoot it.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I forgot about TR's suppressed lever. Nice! One thing that gets forgotten sometimes is the benefit of the locked breach aspect of some guns for suppression, no action noise from the cycling of a semi-auto. Our 9mm S&Ws, back in the day, had a slide lock lever, effectively turning them in to single shots, for the quietest operation. You could run it as a semi too, but it was louder. Our suppressed full-auto was a Swedish K. Not super quiet, but a weird noise you might not recognize as a firearm.

Can one shoot a 45-70 through a Silencerco 45acp can?
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Once for sure. After that I don't know.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    My friend's Silencerco Hybrid is ".46 Caliber" ... a multi-caliber can rated from 9mm, .45, 5.56, 308 on up to 45-70, 458 SOCOM and .338 Lapua. It's little heavy/bulky for handguns ... I bought the threaded 1911 he was using on it and gonna use that for my soon to arrive (?) Ghost M.

Back your question, a .45 ACP pistol can ...? I dunno. I wouldn't do it. I am most definitely not a physicist, but methinks the gas pressure from even a subsonic 45-70 rifle cartridge would be a bad idea on a can designed for the .45 ACP. Oh, maybe it would endure a few rounds without any physical damage, but I ain't risking another six months of waiting around for a replacement can, much less the loss in $$$. Best to get a rifle can. Try it out and let me know.

I'm so paranoid about these things, I don't mix ammo with nuthin'. If I shoot my levergun with my 9mm suppressor, I don't take magnum ammo to the range. Accidents do happen, but levels of checks and re-checks minimize risk. I thought for about 10 minutes putting my Osprey on my 300 Blackout, which is perfectly permissible and frequently done; but I wasn't in a hurry, so I waited until my 30 caliber can came in. Again, best to use the right tool for the right job, I think. My retirement funds allow me to accumulate guns and ammo and needed accessories like suppressors, but I do not want to reinvest money on an easily avoided error in judgment. Plus, time is precious and again <ATF rant ON> I waited 13 months for my trust to come through ... and I ain't gettin' any younger. <rant OFF>
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 07-04-2018 at 08:17 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Once for sure. After that I don't know.
    Yeah that’s kind of what I was afraid of. LOL
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net