Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TASI AAR- CHARLOTTESVILLE VA.

This past weekend I had the pleasure of hosting and attending Suarez Internationalís Terrorist/Active Shooter Interdiction Class. The class was held in Charlottesville VA.

The class was taught by Craig Flaherty, Jim Miller and JD Lester. It was really great to have all three of these talented instructors at one class. Iíve taken multiple classes with JD and he is an excellent instructor. This was my first experience training with Craig and Jim. Both Craig and Jim possess a wealth of knowledge and are outstanding teachers. They presented the information in a professional manner that is easy to follow, implement and understand. As an extra benefit Craig really keeps things lively with his sense of humor. There were a lot of laughs and good times mixed in with the training.

We had a total of 17 students. A large majority of them had previously attended a Suarez class. It was a good group of shooters who were ready and willing to train and learn.

Iíll give everyone a brief synopsis of the class, but Iím not going to disclose much. You really need to attend this class when it comes around again. It is filled with a lot of valuable life saving information.

The first day started with lecture and discussion about active shooter events. Lots of info and details about how and why these events occur was shared.

Later in the morning the instructors tested the class with the box drill which is also known as the combat jeopardy drill. I had never participated in anything like this. This was an eye opening experience. It really tests your ability to critically think and operate under stress.

The rest of the day was interspersed with lectures and precision shooting at 3Ē dots from varying distances.

Day 2 was also filled with lots of good stuff. The morning was spent with an introduction to CQB. Details were included on room clearing and movement. After that Jim took over and showed us some knife work and some disarming techniques.

After lunch we started with more proactive precision shooting and then moved on to aggressively attacking the targets from the 12 oíclock position. This soon progressed to the Istanbul Drill. This is a great drill to work because it is of tremendous benefit in todayís crazy world.

The instructors saved the most exciting and stressful drill for the end of the day. They placed numerous no shoot targets downrange. We had to maneuver through them at speed and attack an unknown target on the instructors command. This was a challenging and demanding drill.

Iíll finish up by saying again that you really need to take this class. In todayís world you never know when a terrorist or active shooter event will kick off. You and your family could be caught in the middle of it. You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to learn this lifesaving information.

I really appreciate the instructors making the trip to teach this valuable class. It was an excellent weekend of training.
    Suarez International Student since 2013

Nice AAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The biggest hindrance to adaptability is ego.

Great write up Mike!

It was good to get together with guys that had been in class before and also welcome some new folks.

Seeing guys that had taken DPM and CRG-2 bust eye socket sized groups into those 3 inch circles from various ranges was great.

Craig and Jim have great knowledge to impart on those that select to train with them.

v/r

JD

Mike,

Thanks for bringing us in and for the hospitality. It is always good to train with a group that is willing to work as hard as your guys did.

I look forward to working with you in the future.

Jim Miller
    ISA 6:8

Mike,

It was great to train with a group of dedicated and motivated students. Everyone worked hard and pushed the limits of their personal skills. Thanks again for the hospitality. When I have edited through my photographs I will post them here. Can't wait to come down and train again.
    Marine (Ma-rene) n. A mean, violent, nasty little green amphibious monster. Born and raised on Parris Island, but feared through out the world. They are impervious to pain and feed on fear. Unusual reaction to the words "Semper Fi"!

Hell yeah. I can't wait to train with craig...jd. and Jim again. This was a really great class. Thanks for making it one hell of an experience
    Andrew

Totally agree with Mike's AAR!
    Was grateful for previous CGR-2 with JD, and likewise for this CT/AS class with Craig and Jim!
    They are rock solid instructors, with depth of knowledge and experience.
    They were able to rapidly and effectively convey a complex combination of essential information, critical concepts, and very practical tactical skills.
    If we are ever faced with such a "worst day", we students are far more prepared to act (or avoid!) as necessary.
    We will be back!
    Thanks JD, Craig, and Jim!!
    Gene :)

This was another great SI class, and we were lucky enough to have three instructors with great experience to share. It was good to see Taint as always, and nice to meet Krusty and Jim. They were able to work around our range restrictions to get this done for us. The air soft portion would have been great, but the Fudds on the board at our range didn't approve. I'd like to take this one again with that air soft portion. Being an ordinary guy with no service/operator experience, this one really highlighted some new things to think about and watch out for. Multiple light bulb moments in a weekend is worth the price of admission. I'm ready for the next class!

Nobody got choked out? I'm disappointed.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Though talked about you are correct Greg we did not. I put that on the back burner for this class.
    Marine (Ma-rene) n. A mean, violent, nasty little green amphibious monster. Born and raised on Parris Island, but feared through out the world. They are impervious to pain and feed on fear. Unusual reaction to the words "Semper Fi"!