June Red Dot Pistol class.
    Suarez International Prescott AZ

Instructors
    Gabe Suarez
    Gerald Bailey
    Greg Nichols

Day 1

Class started with a question.
    With a pistol held high so all could see it Gabe asked "What's this for?" The answer. For killing.
    With a brief lecture on the purpose and use of the pistol, proactive gun fighting and the realities of gun safety we headed to the shooting range.
    Our paper targets were 3x5 cards and were shot out to 15yds. After assessing each shooters skills Gabe broke down the fundamentals of marksmanship and then he and the other instructors helped diagnose and correct issues each shooter was having.
    From there we covered grip, stance, draw, sight picture, trigger press and were given the class goals, 25yd face shots and 100yd body shots.
    We also covered point shooting and the fundamentals behind it. "Use the right method for the problem" was given into context and action.

We mixed in shooting what appears to have been 8 inch round steel plates from 15 to 25yds. The purpose of the targets were to simulate head shots. With each live fire season, on all 3 days, each student was watched and coached to help address their deficiencies.

From there we covered asymmetric dot position and put that into practice in live fire. With pistols gripped normally we fired groups into the 3x5 cards, we placed the dot on target but it various positions on the outer parameter of the optic. We repeated this with the pistols rotated 90° and 270°. The purpose of this was not only to see we could place accurate shots but to help us gain confidence in our pistols.

From there we dove into the 4 reasons to cowitness your iron sights, malfunction clearing, the types of malfunctions and Hicks Law.

Changing directions a bit we covered proper maintenance of the red dots, the Glock pistols and the importance of using training mags.

Day 2
    We started the day with dry practice, then the shooting for the day started at the 50yd line on full size silhouettes. Then we moved back to 60yds, 75yds, and finally 100yds. Throughout this session on the range, lessons were being taught about several topics and issues related to mindset, and our personal training regimen.

We stepped off the range for a lecture on proactive vs reactive gunfighting. Several points were made for each type of fighting and each point was explained thoroughly. If you want this info you need to take a class

The lecture moved onto OODA loop, in which the explanation was also thorough and how it applies to us.

From there moved into more issues that affect reactive gunfighting, angular movement, how and where to move, and how to move when facing multiple aggressors. Again if you want this info, take a class.

We broke down the steps of the After Action Assessment and ran it live fire. I find the this technique to be the only real "scan" being taught in the industry.

We continued the study of movement with a demonstration of the Pistol Kata. By this point we had not only covered but also performed the angular movements present in the Kata that the context was easily understood. We, as a class, were lead through the Kata several times so we could begin to learn it well enough to be able to practice at home.

Day 3

The day started again with dry fire, then right to the 8inch plate at 15 and then to 25yds.
    We stepped over to full size silhouettes at 60 and then to 75yds.

We stepped off the range to enter a lecture on the 10yd zero and ballistics of trajectories. If you've ever studied "maximum point blank range " for rifles this is was the same but for red dot pistols. We covered standards of the 90s and how the Red Dot Pistol technology has changed the game in both expectations and performance of the shooter.

We stepped back on the range to continue shooting at 75yd and then back to 90yds. From there we covered supported position like Fetal Prone and Kneeling, as well as the time to use them, the advantages and disadvantages. We performed these positions live fire at 60yds. Then we covered the Istanbul drill and performed it live fire.

We then covered more elements that we may face when placed into a reactive gunfight and worked on addressing attacks from the rear. We worked on this both dry and live fire. With targets behind us we were to taught how to turn, move and shoot either direction.

We then covered a third type of gunfighting, aggressive gunfighting. Like the Proactive and Reactive we were given the context for this type of fighting. We were given examples of how their methods have worked in real life and finally each student was placed into a live fire scenario facing multiple targets with no shoot targets mixed in.

The final teaching moment came from Gerald and it covered fighting from inside a vehicle.

Throughout the entire 3 days I felt as if the material as well as the instructors were well polished. We were given freedom to ask questions and those questions were addressed well. In fact one question I asked resulted in a 10 minute long answer because Gabe wanted us to know the why behind his answer. I felt the material offered and workload we were given to be a lot but appropriate and felt the students ability to learn the material was important to the instructors. We took breaks due to the heat conditions and even started early Saturday and Sunday as to avoid the hottest time of day. There were water and cool down breaks given but even within the break time lectures on related material were presented.

This is the second time I've trained with Suarez International. Compared to other schools I've trained under I consider SI to offer real answers to gunfighting. Not supervised range time working endless drills with little context applied. I feel so strongly now at this point I'll be looking to Suarez International as the authority in gunfighting schools and look forward to training more with them in the future.

Other random notes-

I've trained under high level competitive shooters including a Grandmaster USPSA shooter, Former Delta guys, SEALS, Green Berets, law enforcement guys both local and federal. I've seen some impressive acts of marksmanship. But, I watched Gabe bust off the X at speed and place multiple well place shots over and over again. You tell me what you think is a more desired skill to teach students on winning gunfights.
    While it's a feeling I've been having for sometime, this class further proves the point that the training industry apart from SI is well behind the times and most instructors are providing nothing more than range masturbation and ego stroking.

The range at Prescott was a nice range with a shaded area to use for breaks and lectures. Provided were tables, chairs and SI staff other than the instructors to help with any gear or gun related issues the students might have.
    The staff also set up and changed targets as to not take away from the students training time. The entire SI staff was approachable and helpful with questions and provided a great learning experience.They were respectful, patient, and professional.

Saturday night, SI hosted a dinner for the students at SI Headquarters in which I was invited to bring my wife and daughters to, (we all had a great time).They provided this dinner free of charge and throughout the weekend provided us with discounted prices on gear. The service provided went far above the class time. In fact Shopmonkey gave me a ride back to my hotel Friday night from the range.

Also provided in class was a synopsis of "Killing within the law ". This topic was also addressed throughout the 3 days when appropriate.

Upon completion of the class each student was given a certificate for their attendance.

My SI equipped Gen 3 Glock 19 (complete SI slide with Patrol trigger) worked flawlessly. It allowed my performance to meet the class goals (25yd head shots and 100yd body shots.) when proper fundamentals were applied. On the last day of class I added a SI CCW Magwell to my pistol and can say for sure it cleaned up reloads.

"You will never know how your skills can change history" - Gabe Suarez.

-Gary
    Last edited by psalms23dad; 06-07-2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

A humble thank you.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Appreciate the kind words and the hard work you put in.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Great AAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The biggest hindrance to adaptability is ego.

Great write up.

Thanks!

John
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

Great summary, Gary!!

Anyone who is serious about pistol combat and wants to take their skills to the next level should take this class! It will change the way you train and the way you think. Gabe and team train not only your skills, but they also train your mind!