Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SOF @ 33. Yep.

Have you taken a PT test to see where you're at right now?

For me with the push-ups and sit-ups, the only way for me to get better at doing them were to actually do push-ups and sit-ups.

I totally agree that you need to be able to ruck all day long, and all night long. Study up on the art of tabbing(British rucking style).

I don't know where you live at, but go out and find some sand to ruck around in it. That's pretty much all of brag and all of the SF training area, it's either sand or swamp.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I was able to do 62 push-ups in 2 mins by doing sets of elevated pushups. They made regular pushups seem
    much easier. I did them every other day.

On push up's start with your hands straight ahead and then if your muscles get to feeling tight rotate your hands inboard. Also have a buddy put his fist under your chest and touch it on the downward portion of the repetition.
    Hope this this helps.

v/r

JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD Lester View Post
    Also have a buddy put his fist under your chest and touch it on the downward portion of the repetition.

v/r

JD
    Or, just listen to one.. one... One... One.... Go down lower.... One....

Hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Or, just listen to one.. one... One... One.... Go down lower.... One....

Hahahaha

If you hear 11,11,11, your not breaking the plain, 11 11....change you form immediately.

It is not how many push up you can do in 2 minutes it is about how many perfectly executed push up you can do in 2 minutes...

and perfectly is determined by the dude counting them.

Be harder on yourself... and be where your supposed to be 20-30 minutes prior....and stretch like you are a yoga guru.

v/r

JD
    Last edited by JD Lester; 06-14-2018 at 06:34 PM.

An update:

I am about 40 days out from my recruitment event.

I put down a 5 mile, 55# ruck in 57:30 a couple of days ago. The standard for this event is 15:00/mile, and I was putting the miles down in under 12:00.

My 5-mile run is right around 38:00 and I am trying to chip it away to 35:00 in order to have a 40:00/5 miles on tap with ease.

Pushups and situps are coming slowly, but with the recent ruck, I am going to taper that training down a bit and focus almost entirely on PU/SU.

10 days before the event, I'll be dropping down to maintenance training, with a full 3-4 days off before reporting.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

I don't have any personal experience or credibility to answer this question...but, since I didn't see it mentioned, I'd highly encourage checking out the training and advice at Mountain Tactical (http://mtntactical.com). Rob Shaul and his folks have a very science-driven approach to training, particularly focused on the AFPT (http://mtntactical.com/shop/apft-plan/) and on prep for specific military schools. He also dispenses a lot of wisdom and answers (http://mtntactical.com/education/). I have used his plans in preparation for mountain climbing and they were well-designed, well-written, and prepared me well. He seems to get good results in the tactical realm as well.
    Christian, Paramedic, Texan.

Bro, speaking from RECENT EXPERIENCE (early2018),

You will do exactly:

1 pt test

2 actual 'runs'. One five miler, one long af for as long af

A retarded amount of rucking. Everything will be done with a ruck, with 45# dry weight minimum. 6 mres, and water. I dumped my water mostly, as thry are required to have water buffaloes (trailers) every so often.

I did no log pt, and only did rifle pt if we failed an event.

Situps were done on a decline. Actually did them sitting on a sand bag. Perfect form, they dont count out loud. If you didnt hear the clicker, you wasted a rep. I touched the ground on pushups and popped my elbows at the top.

I dont know why I was a non select, but Im going back in january.

Ruck every. Freaking. Day.

I saw personally the value in kettlebell swings with good form for high reps.

Dont gain size. Just strength/endurance. Size will kick your butt on nasty nick. You climb alot.

Seriously wouldnt worry about weight training at all. The sf training that 1st group is putting on is very cardio intensive. I think theyre right.

Forgot to mention, all the super good ruckers around here say no more than 55# TOTAL WEIGHT, and go for no more than 5 miles for speed.

Ruck frequently. Frequency will be more valuable than duration