Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time of war

So in WV 50 minutes of Ethics CLEs = 60 minutes. "I love the law."

It's increasing difficult for me to justify onsite CLEs, but our 2 hour yearly Ethics portion has to be done in person, presumably to prevent someone else from taking it for you. I used to get into this one for free as a retired PA. Now it's a hundred semolians.
    Sorta fun, though, to be the oldest person in the room.

Part of this year's presentation was on statutory defenses. I was tempted to run the flaming dog scenario past them, but these were mostly fledgling DPAs and the juice was not worth the squeeze.

Sorry for the detour. Back to the thread.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

2, 1, 12. And a wakeup.

I find it really enlightening the number of mental health practitioners that are themselves diagnosed with mental illness and are in therapy; but still seeing patients????

It was at one time a requirement that certain MHPs undergo psychotherapy as a prerequisite to degree/certification.

Like being Tased or OC'd in the Academy, and about as necessary.

2, 1, 12. And a wakeup.

In my law practice I had several injury cases with what amounted to PTSD type problems. These were very real psychic injuries to mostly men who lost the financial ability to provide for families, frequently ended up divorced and sadly one guy did himself in.

I would have a depo from his shrink and the insurance carrier would have an "independent" exam so we had that doc,s depo as well. With perhaps three exceptions the shrinks that I depoed were always far more unstable than my clients. One guy actually offered Prozac Samples to both attorneys and the Court Reporter as he waxed eloquently on why all of us would benefit from this (then new) wonder psych drug. One IME shrink in a depo done by another attorney pronounced that he recommended his male patients wear women's panties. This led to the obvious next question wherein Dr. B loosed his trousers and displayed his pink panties. This was in a workers comp case which might have a dozen lawyers and clients waiting for hearings in the courtroom. Dozens of copies of that depo circulated for years. The insurance carrier that used this doc had him as the expert witness in probably hundreds of cases. This was back in the day when Judges and lawyers had no need to pretend to be tolerant of "diversity". I remember the carrier was quickly dumping money on many cases, some of which were quite defensible.

Choirboy

Won't read about that in "Bleak House." To purloin a phrase, "You can't make this s*** up."

2, 1, 12. And a wakeup.

....and just think, those are the same people who can order you held without legal review because you say you will defend yourself. No doubt there are good Therapists. No doubt there are folks need medication and treatment in secure facilities. The problem is most aren't; at least most/too may don't think like regular people, not when it comes to the really crazy types and conservative types. Its an industry that's made up of SJWs, so your conservative view points anger them.

I remember the "why so many guns" question during my LEO application process--this is the same shrink who asked why I thought it necessary to call when I was running late because of unforeseen traffic.

Got there on time, but she said she wanted to know. I told her it was common courtesy.

"So many guns" was, if I recall, more than six, and I had identified myself as a collector in the written pre-exam. My response: " Because I'm a collector."

It drove her nuts--no pun--when, during the written "test" phase, she shorted me on time intentionally and took away the clipboard: I sat calmly watching her. Not my first rodeo.

After 23 years as a litigator, and 51 years of hard-won experience, I was used to pointless and unproductive interruptions. And dealing with shrinks.
    Last edited by Papa; 06-03-2018 at 07:15 AM.

2, 1, 12. And a wakeup.