Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Back when PDs were first adopting Glocks they no doubt told their officers to check the gun was unloaded before pulling the trigger to disassemble the gun. Hell Id bet they stressed it and made them do it over and over in the class room--still there were (and are) negligent discharges from guys that should know better; certainly from guys who have been trained better. We don't blame the training, nor do we blame the equipment AND neither do we abandon the Glock or any similar pistol that requires pulling the trigger to disassemble the gun.

Re-holstering is no different, its not the equipment or the training--its the operator. Some will get what is being taught and some wont. I'm not 100% convinced making it safer is the answer; but then I'm not on the line with those guys as frequently as an instructor. Seems to me making some things safer defeats evolution...

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Seems to me making some things safer defeats evolution...
    And how many people actually evolve I wonder?
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    And how many people actually evolve I wonder?
    Yeah Boss that's exactly what I thinking when I typed the post. I wonder if that's because of too much worrying about making things safe, (labels on hot coffee, warning that it is HOT, airbags and seatbelts and motorcycle helmet laws), instead of some level of acceptable casualties. Again I don't have to teach as many unknown students as you guys, and clearly any "accident" is a potential nightmare for the business. Its just as you have said some people shouldn't have guns. Some guys shouldn't climb mountains either.

A hundred or so years ago, I was interested in mountain climbing. Back then and I suppose today, you could sign up for a climb and maybe even be invited to Base Camp (which meant a lot of trips up and down, carrying a lot of gear); but when the time came to actually summit, the lead climber picked who was gonna make the summit crew. Just because you paid (what could be well over $10K) had nothing to do with whether you got your picture taken at the top.

EDIT-On that note schools like the Cooper's Gunsite used to have prerequisites. Maybe there needs to be Pre K courses before you enroll in Post Doctoral classes. Maybe a submitted video showing your skill set???
    Last edited by EDELWEISS; 05-27-2018 at 04:46 PM.

In a couple years at most...it wont matter to me what stupid things incapable people do on the range.
    Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    In a couple years at most...it wont matter to me what stupid things incapable people do on the range.
    I for one hope you never go brother.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Yeah Boss that's exactly what I thinking when I typed the post. I wonder if that's because of too much worrying about making things safe, (labels on hot coffee, warning that it is HOT, airbags and seatbelts and motorcycle helmet laws), instead of some level of acceptable casualties.

Mike Rowe had an interesting thought about just this thing. In commenting about how the world makes safety the “most important thing,” he commented that it’s no wonder the world’s most dangerous intersections have “walk” signs.

There’s zero personal responsibility he lamented.

I agree. I hold myself accountable as well and admit I’ve been caught in that trap before. It’s easy to not be aware when you’re incorrectly conditioned that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris

I will add, you go, I go...

I have had an SCD on a Glock pistol for several years now. I initially thought it was gimmicky, but now have them on every one of my pistols. They are reassuring especially when holstering IWB behind the hip when I can not see into the holster. Thus far I have seen no negatives, other than a "ticking" noise when I run. They do not prevent a thumb behind slide contact shot.

I have been very happy with the product and besides sights, it is the only modification I make to my Glock pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    Not all holster systems work for everybody. And if you're a round person (and I'll confess to it), appendix carry is not a solution for you.

(This is one reason I'd like to experiment with a strong-side shoulder holster, I think it might be a workable solution)
    I wouldn't call myself slim by any means, more medium speed some drag, but i can and do appendix just fine. It eats me up sure, but thats just motivation to decrease resistance, no problems with dry or live practice

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

And at the risk of offending those who are so easily offended these days...this has run its course. And it will take care of itself when we shift to a more FOF-based curriculum in the future.
    Gabe Suarez