Default Zeroing The Stakeout

Finally got an RMR mounted on the Stakeout. What’s the recommended zero for this critter?
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Slugs at 25 yards.

Then see how it patterns with the buck load you will carry.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

What size dot did you choose. Ive been thinking the dual powered 13MOA model

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    What size dot did you choose. Ive been thinking the dual powered 13MOA model

Edited to correct. Mine is the 9 MoA amber dot.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 05-21-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

When considering dot/triangle (aiming symbol) size (MOA) realize that the [aiming symbol] wiil mask, or obscure, some portion of the target/threat.

If my math serves, for a 25 yd slug zero, a 13 moa dot will “mask” about 3.4” of your target. Will this be adequate precision for your intended use of your weapon.?

Also, for those using adjustable intensity models, brighter settings make the dot/symbol appear larger while dimmer settings appear smaller.

At the April SG class in Prescott, ChrisNobody and Brent Yamamoto did some very impressive Stakeout shooting out beyond 25 yds. Maybe we can get them to jump in with their expertise.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

I’m going to agree with Brent - I zero at 25 yards with federal premium reduced recoil LE slugs (blue hull). At the class, I was using a Tac-14 with a take off barrel from an SBS. It was a known entity and worked beautifully (only change from Remington factory was a set of night sights). It will be delivered back to me as a stakeout with provision for an RMR. I had intended to use the 13 MOA dual illuminated as an approximation of a shot pattern at 20yards, but won’t do that anymore. The stakeout easily makes hits on steel well beyond 100 yards with my selected ammunition. Due to this, I will now go with the 7 MOA dual illuminated RMR. That is the most precise dot I can get while sticking with the dual illuminated setup. I will still zero it for 25 yards knowing that aiming for upper chest will equal COM hits at 100-115 yards.
    “How can I shoot people? Shooting people is easy. It is the simple application of the fundamentals of marksmanship. The hard part is ensuring that I have the physical strength to prevail, the moral strength to know when it is right to kill, and the mental strength to articulate the aftermath such that I maintain my freedom while they experience what comes next in the afterlife.”

There ya go: rifle not close at hand? Slug up.

You also have rifle sights on the gun above, right Chris?
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

I don't think the amber triangle is a great fit for the Stakeout. The triangle is too dim in low light. If the gun is equipped with rifle sights, you can use those in low light...but personally I think you're much better served with the 9moa amber dot. It is plenty bright enough in low light.

The tip of the triangle can be used as a more precise aiming point, but I really don't think this is the first priority for the Stakeout. I would rather have a dot that I can see in all lighting conditions.

Edited to add: maybe it's a 7moa that I have, I don't remember now. Either way, it's a much better choice than the triangle.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Absolutely Ted - I don’t own a shotgun without rifle sights. The night sights are super strong and I would recommend them on the 870 rifle sighted platform. The RMR will only “enhance” an already amazing weapon platform.

My shotgun will never replace my rifle, but at CQB distances and operating in and out of vehicles, the stakeout reigns supreme. The flexibility of payload is unparalleled, from fight stopping/life ending mega wounds produced by #4 buckshot to accurate shots made at short to medium distances with slugs, the 12 ga can do it all. The SI treatment on the weapon just takes it up a notch in versatility and reliability, and the SI training takes the operator up a few notches in terms of knowledge and skill.
    “How can I shoot people? Shooting people is easy. It is the simple application of the fundamentals of marksmanship. The hard part is ensuring that I have the physical strength to prevail, the moral strength to know when it is right to kill, and the mental strength to articulate the aftermath such that I maintain my freedom while they experience what comes next in the afterlife.”

I agree 100% with the above. Slugs sights at a min on all people killing shotguns. I only own one barrel with a bead, that is the long vent rib I-want-to-eat-birds barrel.

I zero my Fakeout with Fed blue hull slugs at 25 and they just shoot.

With the fed top flight 00 buck I can still score 50-70% shot pattern hits at 50 yards. Which would be a fight stopper.

A true fighting weapon with no pretense of civility, it harkens to the day of sail and hitting the charging mob with the blunberbuss before pulling a cutlass and wading into the fray on the blood soaked decking.

Imagine that, a practical pirate weapon re-discovered here, by the tribe....

It also almost a clone of the Ithaca carried by NSW Chief James Watson, who used it in "other than ideal conditions"
    Last edited by m48shooter; 05-22-2018 at 08:04 AM.