Default Casual Range Day

So, my son is home on leave and one of the things he wants to do is go shooting with the old man and eat some BBQ afterwards. We head out to the nearby range with a decent bait of 9MM and .45ACP so he can run some drills and we can also shoot an old S&W M1917 revolver that I have not fired in over ten years.

We were at a square range, but he did very well out to 25 yds including the mandatory head shots. We spent two hours working then did some recreational shooting with the old iron and found out it would group approx 2.5" at 25 yds. using WWB. Not bad for a former Chilean Naval revolver with a pitted bore.

As I was shooting a couple of kids show up and starting unpacking their gear. Being " In the zone" I concentrated on my sight picture and in less than a minute felt something skip across the top of my shoe. Knowing it was brass it was ignored and I continued shooting, then I noticed two pieces of 5.56 brass lazily floating past about two feet in front of my face. I continued shooting my group and when finished noticed my son looking with derision at the two tactical wannabes to my left. I checked both their fifteen yard targets and it looked like they had been firing shotguns instead of the RDS mounted Recce style rifles they had on the bench.

Very evenly spread patterns with no central grouping on either target that they had fired about four magazines each as fast as they could pull the trigger. Neither was fat, but both were soft and definitely NOT current or former military. Absolutely pathetic in that of the 100 plus round they each fired, only about 70% had hit the full sized silhouettes at 15 yds! Both son and I had done much better with pistols. Old fart that I am, I managed to beat them speed and accuracy with a contract revolver that was made around 1927 at the same range.

Heir Apparent commented " Five thousand dollars worth of rifles and gear and practically anyone with an off the shelf shotgun would have done better." And that my friend perfectly summed up the situation. It was a blessing that they packed up their gear and were gone in 15 mins or so. I have never seen worse shooting given the idyllic conditions at the range that day.

The BBQ however, was superb.

jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

Maybe they were part of the antifa swat team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

This is why I am so glad I got 84 acres to day what I want on!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Well, they did act a little clannish and without any interaction with others at the range and they did shoot about like antifa

Quote Originally Posted by paknheat View Post
    Maybe they were part of the antifa swat team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They don’t know what they don’t know. If asked I try and steer people into training at SI, but common consensus is that as long as you have the bitchen shit you are the bitchen shit. Just be grateful you could have killed the both of them with the 1917 before they could figure out thier safetys....

Where'd you guys get BBQ?
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Im guessing they thought they did a job on the target. Sounds like a winning score on Xbox

Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post
    Where'd you guys get BBQ?
    Black's near downtown Lockhart. Not as good as it once was and way more expensive. The Ca racing fans have ruined the town

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw76 View Post
    Black's near downtown Lockhart. Not as good as it once was and way more expensive. The Ca racing fans have ruined the town

jim
    I never had Blacks "back then", but my wife and I ate at the one here in Austin not long ago. It was good, but not good enough to wait in line again. Not for a while anyways. Honestly, Rudy's is kinda hard to beat. Its about as good and the line isn't as long.

You're right about the Californians ruining everything around here too. Its a real bummer.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post
    I never had Blacks "back then", but my wife and I ate at the one here in Austin not long ago. It was good, but not good enough to wait in line again. Not for a while anyways. Honestly, Rudy's is kinda hard to beat. Its about as good and the line isn't as long.

You're right about the Californians ruining everything around here too. Its a real bummer.
    I hear ya. Rudy's aint bad though a bit expensive, but they all are nowadays. Not much around here is like it used to be but change seems to be inevitable. The old Blacks was really something up until they built that race track east of Austin. That brought in all kinds of people from around the world. Few if any know what good BBQ is, and they're willing to pay 20.00 plus a plate for it. Ruined everything..

If I were younger, Id open a place of my own.

jim