Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1976 View Post
    Cheese is fine to eat. Just gotta find raw cheese and made with Type A2 milk. Or avoid the whole typing issue and just get goat cheese and sheep or goat feta (my favorite). Although I have no idea why no one here seems to be able to get whole goat milk feta. Not very fond of sheep or cow feta.

The only cheese I do eat is Machego Cheese. Its from Spain and all goat's milk. Didn't like the taste of Goat-cheese FETA, but that may just have been that particular brand. Cows are only for meat for me.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

MachengoCheese.jpegThis is very good stuff -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1976 View Post
    Cheese is fine to eat. Just gotta find raw cheese and made with Type A2 milk. Or avoid the whole typing issue and just get goat cheese and sheep or goat feta (my favorite). Although I have no idea why no one here seems to be able to get whole goat milk feta. Not very fond of sheep or cow feta.
    I should have added an emoticon; my post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. But I do love cheese.

Gentlemen, I must revive this thread yet again.

Today I received results from my Cardio IQ blood panel:
    cholesterol total: 333
    Hdl chol: 55
    Trig: 119
    Ldl chol: 252
    chol/Hdl: 6.1
    nonHdl chol: 278
    LdL particle number: 2749
    Ldl small: 671
    Ldl medium: 800
    Hdl large: 4868
    Ldl pattern: B
    Ldl peak size: 214.4
    Apolipoprotein B: 176
    Lipoprotein (a): 25

It seems my Ldl is made up of too many particles, and they are the small kind which are bad.

My triglycerides are too high but acceptable, I suppose.

My Hdl is acceptable but could be higher.

I have been 6 months eating very paleo/keto. Lots of steak, chicken, fish, and nonstarchy vegetables. Almost no sugar, except I eat too much fruit probably. However, I eat fruit with skin to reduce the glycemic index.

I take 150 mg daily of testosterone cream.

I will meet Sept 7 with my testosterone doctor, who will likely want to prescribe statins.

I want to change these numbers thru diet instead of statins.

I workout hard, six days a week. Lifting and hitting the airbike, for an hour at least, Monday thru Saturday. I have dropped 25 pounds since last November, and have almost no body fat. I am 56 years old, and weigh 160.

What say you all? Thank you
    Last edited by peanutlover; 09-02-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peanutlover View Post
    Gentlemen, I must revive this thread yet again.
    It seems my Ldl is made up of too many particles, and they are the small kind which are bad.
    I have been 6 months eating very paleo/keto. Lots of steak, chicken, fish, and nonstarchy vegetables. Almost no sugar, except I eat too much fruit probably. However, I eat fruit with skin to reduce the glycemic index.
    I will meet Sept 7 with my testosterone doctor, who will likely want to prescribe statins.
    I want to change these numbers thru diet instead of statins.
    I workout hard, six days a week. Lifting and hitting the airbike, for an hour at least, Monday thru Saturday. I have dropped 25 pounds since last November, and have almost no body fat. I am 56 years old, and weigh 160.
    What say you all? Thank you
    Thing the first: Cholesterol isn't the problem, the LDL particles are. That needs to frame how you think about this. LDLs are Low Density Lipoproteins. See, your blood is mostly water, and cholesterol is actually an oil (fat). We all know how well oil and water mix, right? So your body attaches cholesterol to Lipoproteins to get them to "mix" in the water and get moved to where they are going.

Think of it like the proteins are a vehicles, and cholesterol is firewood. HDLs are like hatchbacks. Every hatchback is a little different, but they're all hatchbacks, so you can get 9 or 12 logs in the back, but there's not a lot of difference between cars.

LDLs are trucks. Some trucks can carry 100 pieces of wood, some can carry 1000.

So when you count the amount of "HDL Cholesterol" you get a reasonably close count of underlying HDL proteins. When you count LDL Cholesterol...not close a count, because it varies. I don't know if this variation is within one person, or if it's just person to person. But LDL cholesterol counts are *better* than overall cholesterol counts in terms of determining risk but they aren't as good as LDL Particle counts, which aren't as good as "LDL Remnant" counts (which are actually the LDL particles that do the damage. LDL Particles that are loaded with cholesterol are too big to fit into the lesions in the walls of your arteries, so it's the particles that are left floating around your bloodstream *AFTER* they get unloaded that are the problem).

Thing the second is to accept that you might not be able to change the LDL numbers through diet. Not everyone can.

Thing the next is to request a calcium test--you will get a CT scan of your heart and arteries and they will look for calcifications and create a score.

What is your family history of heart disease? If you have parents and grand parents dying of stroke and heart attacks in their 50s and 60s and you have a high calcium score you have a problem. If they're dying of dementia in their 80s and you have a low calcium score, you are probably fine.

Almost no sugar, except I eat too much fruit probably. However, I eat fruit with skin to reduce the glycemic index.
    While insulin response is something to be concerned about, that's an orthogonal problem, and given the rest of your diet probably *not* an issue. Although it does mean you're probably not in Ketosis very long.

It's reasonable to want to manipulate your cholesterol numbers with diet, but it doesn't work for most people who are already trying to eat well. Diet is as much a religion as anything else, and people don't like changing their religions.

You might try adding a quarter or half head of iceberg lettuce to dinner, and having a cup of "real" oatmeal at breakfast. One of the things your body does (I think it's the liver) is to move LDL particles out into the bile ducts, and then reabsorb them. The theory is that if you can prevent reabsorption you can lower your numbers. Eating certain kinds of fiber (I think it's the insoluble kind) will absorb some of the bile, moving the LDL particles out in your feeces. This might help lower your overall numbers. Might.

Dr. Peter Attia's podcast "The Drive" (https://peterattiamd.com/podcast/) has several podcasts on cholsterol and LDLs. I don't have a list of them handy, but it might be worth your while to dig through them over the next week.

One interesting thing that came up in one of his podcasts is that he had a patient who was doing full blow keto and it *completely* blew out his LDL numbers--this apparently happens in about 15 percent of people--horrible numbers, high 300s or low 400s IIRC. Serious "OMG YOU GONNA DIE" territory. But the guy *loved* ketosis, made him feel great. So as an experiment they had him (almost) completely drop polyunsaturated fats, and basically drink olive oil for calories. This brought his numbers *way* back down. Totally genetics (one might make the case for genetics + gut biome, but we don't know enough about that yet).

So you might be able to drop the numbers a little by reducing your polyunsaturated fat intake, a little more by increasing your fiber intake, get some calories back by dumping some sort of monounsaturated fats on your iceberg lettuce at dinner.

Taking a half step back, LDLs are only 1/2 of the problem. LDLs lead to atherosclerosis by getting into lesions in the artery walls. Those lesions are there as part of the inflammatory response. So you might look at ways of getting inflammation down as well. We don't have the same sorts of tests for that as we do LDLs, so it's harder for doctors to measure and treat, but for long term health it's part of the equation. Do note that "over exercise" leads to this sort of inflammation, so while it's probably more healthy than not to spend lots of time on the exercise bike, for "long slow" exercise aim for "zone two" training rather than "as hard as I can".

Another interesting thing, because someone screwed up, I had to have my cholesterol tested twice in two weeks:

Week One.
    Cholesterol, Total 226 mg/dL
    Triglycerides Level 94 mg/dL
    HDL Cholesterol 55 mg/dL
    VLDL Cholesterol Cal 17 mg/dL
    LDL Cholesterol, Calculated 154 mg/dl

Week two:
    Cholesterol, Total 213 mg/dL
    Triglycerides Level 79 mg/dL
    HDL Cholesterol 52 mg/dL
    VLDL Cholesterol Cal 14 mg/dL
    LDL Cholesterol, Calculated 147 mg/dL

Now, me and my doctor are probably going to have to come to a...meeting of the minds over that "calculated" bit. LDLs are the bits that matter, and I'm pissed enough that he won't order an LDL(P) test, but having their lab not even bother to actually *test* for LDL(C)? Just calculate it from the rest of the crap?

Here's the thing--week one was the Monday after I'd gotten back from taking a trip to see relatives. I was something like 8 to 10 pounds heavier that Monday than I had been 10 days previously, and I dropped almost all of that 10 pounds before the second test.