Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OK, understanding that you all are not doctors (or maybe some of you are?) but that I need to make my own decisions about my health, what would you do with these results?

Total Cholesterol: 281 mg/dL
    HDL Cholesterol: 54 mg/dL
    Cholesterol / HDL Ratio: 5.2
    LDL, Calculated: 205 mg/dL
    Triglycerides: 96 mg/dL
    Non-HDL Cholesterol: 227 mg/dL

Doctor made it sound like I had major risk factors for a cardiac event based on these labs and wants me on 10mg/day of Crestor (statin) and 200mg of CoQ10.

Age is 45, high blood pressure is managed to healthy range. Blood sugar and A1C are good. Have not exercised in eight weeks due to recurring gout flares, which are now being managed with allopurinol.

What would you do?

OK...and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn....

Divide your Triglycerides: 96 mg/dL by your HDL Cholesterol: 54 mg/dL. So 96/54 = 1.777

Below 2 so its good. If I had those numbers I would do the following - and this is a brother talking to a brother and nothing more -

1). Buy and Read -Cholesterol Clarity: What The HDL Is Wrong With My Numbers?

2). Find a Doc that is current on his understanding and not simply parroting stuff from the 1980s. It sounds weird but I would look at docs that do the hormone stuff (T-replacement and such) as they tend to be more current and have a better understanding.

3). LDL is a bit high, but likely not all bad (based on your ratio of less than 2). Nonetheless I would look at your diet and what you are eating. Are you heavy on carbohydrates (pasta, rice, potatoes, beer, etc.)? How much protein do you eat? What is your body fat level? Do you smoke? Drink to excess?

Me, I would do a ton of research and get a second, third and fourth opinion, before taking ANY Statins.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Not a doctor, but worked with several doing clinical nutrition research for about 25 years now. Here's the numbers you want to shoot for:

Total Cholesterol = Meaningless (unless it's well above 300)
    HDL = Above 55
    LDL = Below 120
    Triglycerides = Below 100
    HDL/Total Cholesterol = Above 24% (Below 10% is serious heart risk)
    Triglycerides/HDL = Below 2
    Triglycerides divided by 5 = VLDL (Should be around 20)

So as Gabe said, you're good to go, aside from needing to get that LDL down. Less refined carbs - this will lower the LDL, and more exercise and coconut oil and olive oil in the diet - this will raise HDL. The doctor is insane if he wants to put you on a statin drug. You definitely need to find a competent doctor, one who's up to date with clinical nutrition. A good book (by a doctor) on this is:

The Cholesterol Hoax
    by Sherry Rogers, MD

Written in clear layman's terms and very, very informative.
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu

I AM a doctor. My advice is to listen to Gabe, but especially take a look at what you are eating. When evaluating diet, you have to be brutally honest with yourself. A food diary can help if you have difficulty with this.

The other thing guys is check additional things...specially as you age.

Check T-levels because no matter what a bad ass you are, they will drop as you age.
    Check Thyroid panel as well - wasn;t an issue in hunter-gatherer world, but today it is.

All these things can be made better with science. There are old school docs that want to help you age gracefully. Avoid those guys unless you look forward to shuffle board and walking canes. Find a doc that focuses on keeping you functional and in the fight into your eighties. And yes...pharmacological stuff will inevitably be involved in some of this but so what.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters