Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Verbally flashing creds post-shooting

Following a shooting it is possible to verbally "flash credentials," to "name drop", etc...

Obviously someone else could do this more eloquently than me, but for example:

"Officer, I'm so glad you're here. I'm the victim. That man there (pointing) asked me for money while I was pumping gas. I told him I didn't have any and he got angry. He yelled and said he was going to f****** kill me. He pulled out a knife and came at me. I knew if I didn't stop him he would kill me."

"They taught me in the academy about this kind of thing but I never thought it would happen to me. Do you mind if I sit down? I don't feel well."

Or maybe

"I'm glad I learned what to do when someone approaches you with a knife in the academy. I would probably be dead if I hadn't."

Later on in the conversation I would make clear that I attended a corrections academy but I am no longer involved in that work - probably right after the officer follows my statement with "You attended a police academy? Are you a law enforcement officer?".

But how would this change which box I end up in on the report (victim, suspect)? How does it change the way responding LE and investigators view me (us vs them)?

Does this help or hurt my credibility to the officer? Increase or decrease sympathy?

What about mentioning classes / training?

"I'm so glad I took that handgun class. It just saved my life."

Would this communicate "trained. Intelligent. Reasonable. Like me. Lawful" to the officer? Or would it communicate "Wash up. Poser. Wannabe. Vigilante"?

Or are there simply more important things to communicate in a brief statement that will be more beneficial to you?

My opinion....if you are former LE, it will become evident in a few short seconds because you will be speaking their language. Bringing up that you have taken a class will not matter to anyone at that moment and they will not align with you as a result. So IMHO, better to grab on to the victim, or saviour card and ride that.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

What Gabe said....and theres nothing wrong with saying I'm former/retired LEO, corrections, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    My opinion....if you are former LE, it will become evident in a few short seconds because you will be speaking their language. Bringing up that you have taken a class will not matter to anyone at that moment and they will not align with you as a result. So IMHO, better to grab on to the victim, or saviour card and ride that.
    If you are current or former LEO your vernacular will reveal your background and it's likely that they will ask you if you were or not. Play your V card and call it a day.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    If you are current or former LEO your vernacular will reveal your background and it's likely that they will ask you if you were or not. Play your V card and call it a day.
    It's hard to hide. No one looking at me would take me for a stockbroker or a schoolteacher. When you play that card, though, it might be best to play it to the responding officers and not to those in the peanut gallery, who may believe they have cause to hate cops, on duty or off, retired or active.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

2, 1, 8. And a wakeup.

Unless I want to take over and dominate the situation...and there is a time to do this (open the wallet and take the class...there is a limit to my generosity), I would keep my background to myself and to the officers and have zero discussions with "the peanut gallery". If I needed to dominate the scene, I would simply say, "Police Officer...everyone get down now!", or something to that effect. It won't matter that I have been retired for over 15 years. But if you are not, that is not your card to play. Period.
    Gabriel Suarez

We'll know you're a cop because of the grin on your face.

We'll also know because in the first few seconds you'll point at yourself and say "Victim #1," point at the bystanders and say "Witnesses #1 to #3," then point at the decedent and say "Suspect #1." Then the story starts...but we already know.

WELL...YES...THERE IS THAT TOO.
    Gabriel Suarez

This is where judgment comes into play. We want to say the right things to tell a compelling story. Some details will highlight the story, make it stronger. Some will add nothing, and some will definitely make it worse.

Whatever the detail is...ask yourself why the officer should care? I tend to stick to the "Intent, Means, Opportunity, Preclusion" formula. I'll add some words for color ("robber" rather than "that guy", mention that other victims could be someone's mom/grandma, etc. Say subtle things to the officer that paint me as a good guy, and him as the bad guy. Those are all things that are relevant, and they are targeted specifically to "me good, him bad, he tried to kill me, this was how".

Why should the officer care that you've taken a handgun class? Sure, that may have helped your shooting, but it's already clear the shooting happened, successful or not. If it was me, I'd wonder "why are you telling me this...it's not relevant". What value does telling him you've been trained provide? Nothing.

However, that training may have given you information that helped you recognize the bad guy was a threat. What was the bad guy's behavior? What physical symptoms did he display? THAT information provides some value.

"I knew he was preparing to attack because I saw signs of physical aggression. He was clenching his fists, grinding his teeth, his face was flushed. His breathing was accelerated and he was very agitated. Then he started yelling and threatening people. Then he reached for his waist...."

I think it's a judgment call which details might be relevant or helpful, but in general I'd avoid details about you, unless they paint you as a good guy and are somehow relevant to the situation. Why would taking a gun class make you a good guy? How is it relevant.

Now if you can paint yourself as good in the set up of the story in a natural way..."I was minding my own business, gassing up the church van when that mugger..."
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    What about mentioning classes / training?

"I'm so glad I took that handgun class. It just saved my life."
    your shot group to the face should reflect this.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.