Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Occasionally you see a good one and they really are amazing (saw one today) but they're rare and still shed like it's a part-time job.

I do like rotties. If well socialized and well trained they can be terrific dogs. Give him a backpack and make him carry stuff. They love having a job.
    Mine is, of course, perfect. Except for the shedding thing. 'Course every dog I've owned shed like crazy.

Fully agree on rotties. Never met one I didn't like.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

2, 6, 10. And a wakeup.

I'm only a month into ownership but so far I'm impressed with the Pyrenees. When I met the parents they dutifully alerted the owner (SIL) To our presence and kept the goat herd shielded from us, but then were calm and friendly once we were properly introduced. Our almost 13 week old female laid there calmly last night when my 1 yr old daughter tottled up and took the bone out of her mouth, but will already bark and stand like a barrier when someone comes to the door. It only took me one day to teach basic commands (sit,stay,lay down, give, leave it) and she seems very easy to train. From what I've been told shedding is about on par with a Golden Retriever so medium/heavy shedders, but consistent grooming should negate a lot of that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have had several breeds of dogs down past the years. But for me, German Shepherds are the dogs that shine. Get a male GSD. Club- flood ring.jpg
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Take a look at the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. Rotty's and Mastiff's descended from them. Originally used by the Romans as war dogs. Later domesticated by the Swiss. Mine can pull a cart loaded with 1800 pounds. Huge bark. Very intimidating, but great disposition. I will never be without one. No one would come near your house if you have one!

DSC_0794.JPG.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by doctom View Post
    Take a look at the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. Rotty's and Mastiff's descended from them. Originally used by the Romans as war dogs. Later domesticated by the Swiss. Mine can pull a cart loaded with 1800 pounds. Huge bark. Very intimidating, but great disposition. I will never be without one. No one would come near your house if you have one!
    I am sure you have a fine dog, but to say mastiffs descended from them is not true if you mean all mastiffs. Mastiffs date to much earlier times and my guess is the origins are much further to the east.
    Below: Assyrian Mastiff Metropolitan museum of Art. I could not find a date for it.
    Mastiffs were known in Persia, middle east and in classical greek cultures. Dog vendors (Breeders) like to invent histories and more often then not they are false. Maybe? some mastiffs in europe were descended from the Swiss Mountain dog, but all?
    Last edited by barnetmill; 05-16-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

good points