Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Occasionally you see a good one and they really are amazing (saw one today) but they're rare and still shed like it's a part-time job.

    I do like rotties. If well socialized and well trained they can be terrific dogs. Give him a backpack and make him carry stuff. They love having a job.
    Mine is, of course, perfect. Except for the shedding thing. 'Course every dog I've owned shed like crazy.

    Fully agree on rotties. Never met one I didn't like.
    Warrior for the working day.

    Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

    "...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

    "Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

    2, 1, 7. And a wakeup.

  2. #32
    I'm only a month into ownership but so far I'm impressed with the Pyrenees. When I met the parents they dutifully alerted the owner (SIL) To our presence and kept the goat herd shielded from us, but then were calm and friendly once we were properly introduced. Our almost 13 week old female laid there calmly last night when my 1 yr old daughter tottled up and took the bone out of her mouth, but will already bark and stand like a barrier when someone comes to the door. It only took me one day to teach basic commands (sit,stay,lay down, give, leave it) and she seems very easy to train. From what I've been told shedding is about on par with a Golden Retriever so medium/heavy shedders, but consistent grooming should negate a lot of that.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    In the good Old South
    Posts
    400
    I have had several breeds of dogs down past the years. But for me, German Shepherds are the dogs that shine. Get a male GSD. Club- flood ring.jpg
    Dave

    "If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

  4. #34
    Take a look at the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. Rotty's and Mastiff's descended from them. Originally used by the Romans as war dogs. Later domesticated by the Swiss. Mine can pull a cart loaded with 1800 pounds. Huge bark. Very intimidating, but great disposition. I will never be without one. No one would come near your house if you have one!







    DSC_0794.JPG.jpg

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    13,771
    Quote Originally Posted by doctom View Post
    Take a look at the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. Rotty's and Mastiff's descended from them. Originally used by the Romans as war dogs. Later domesticated by the Swiss. Mine can pull a cart loaded with 1800 pounds. Huge bark. Very intimidating, but great disposition. I will never be without one. No one would come near your house if you have one!
    I am sure you have a fine dog, but to say mastiffs descended from them is not true if you mean all mastiffs. Mastiffs date to much earlier times and my guess is the origins are much further to the east.
    Below: Assyrian Mastiff Metropolitan museum of Art. I could not find a date for it.
    Mastiffs were known in Persia, middle east and in classical greek cultures. Dog vendors (Breeders) like to invent histories and more often then not they are false. Maybe? some mastiffs in europe were descended from the Swiss Mountain dog, but all?
    Last edited by barnetmill; 05-16-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

  6. #36
    good points

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    1,240
    Black Mouth Curs for me. Think "Ole Yeller" for disposition. They come in colors cream, fawn, to brindle. Some breeders kill the brindles, but ours comes from Tiger Joe and has been a very good dog. Very intelligent with lotsa personality, and is always talking to you. Friendly with visitors once introduced, but don't F with them. Can't spank kids or women when they are around, as they don't tolerate that.

    Bred for hunting/herding. Big ones like mine are for bears and boars. They have combat power when needed, but have a friendly temperament. Can't say enough good about them.

    jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

  8. #38
    We had a rescue shepherd. It had been abused and was emotionally damaged. Not aggressive but unusually fearful of nearly anything.

    She was always good with family and other kids. As the years went by she came out of her shell. She lived a long time for a shepherd dog and ended up having a pretty good life.

    I am not set up to own any kind of dog right now but we've been training a little bit with K9 SAR and I have to admit I am bitterly envious of their dogs.

    If you're looking for a working dog I wouldn't go with a rescue dog but if you're just looking for a pet...

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    13,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    We had a rescue shepherd. It had been abused and was emotionally damaged. Not aggressive but unusually fearful of nearly anything.

    She was always good with family and other kids. As the years went by she came out of her shell. She lived a long time for a shepherd dog and ended up having a pretty good life.

    I am not set up to own any kind of dog right now but we've been training a little bit with K9 SAR and I have to admit I am bitterly envious of their dogs.

    If you're looking for a working dog I wouldn't go with a rescue dog but if you're just looking for a pet...
    Some of the dogs used for K9 are extremely expensive and are genetically very good dogs. In other words the products of very selective breeding. Way above the average shelter dog and most other dogs for sure. For a family I would still prefer a Great Pyrenees myself since they are bred specifically to be gentle with family and to be highly protective.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    THIRD COAST
    Posts
    7,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw76 View Post
    Black Mouth Curs for me. Think "Ole Yeller" for disposition. They come in colors cream, fawn, to brindle. Some breeders kill the brindles, but ours comes from Tiger Joe and has been a very good dog. Very intelligent with lotsa personality, and is always talking to you. Friendly with visitors once introduced, but don't F with them. Can't spank kids or women when they are around, as they don't tolerate that.

    Bred for hunting/herding. Big ones like mine are for bears and boars. They have combat power when needed, but have a friendly temperament. Can't say enough good about them.

    jim
    Great breed you have there, but Ole Yeller was a Texas Blue Lacy Game Dog.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

    Owner of Ray's Pawnshop in Bridge City TX

    The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •