Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Or they could teach guys to shoot people in the face...just saying.
    I doubt that will happen. Most units in the Army devote an incredibly insufficient amount of time to pistol marksmanship and tactics. Which always surprised me, being that many who get issued a pistol, will probably only have a pistol if they need it.

Currently, the standard is "hit the silhouette anywhere 30 times from 25 yds". Lots of guys still can't manage that, so I doubt they'll raise the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    Reads like they are just testing the waters to see what is out there at this point - this is nowhere near the "we need an X to do Y and Z." you'd expect if they were already getting serious about actually buying new SMGs.
    Will be interesting to see where this is going; SMGs seem to be very much a niche weapon today.
    A pistol is a niche weapon too in a large mechanized army. I doubt they'd give everyone a sub gun, but a tank or air crew would certainly benefit from the use of them.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post
    Currently, the standard is "hit the silhouette anywhere 30 times from 25 yds". Lots of guys still can't manage that, so I doubt they'll raise the bar. The one time I qualified with a pistol the staff E7 next to me told me 3 times “Slow down and qualify.” As I dumped mags as fast as I could. He shot 0/30 first attempt.

A pistol is a niche weapon too in a large mechanized army. I doubt they'd give everyone a sub gun, but a tank or air crew would certainly benefit from the use of them. I was issued a pistol for 3 months in 7 years. Issued to a position, not a need. The officers NEED a pistol and an ACOG. The guys who actually get in gunfights can fight over what’s left after that.
    Bold
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

The Army small arms procurement office seems to do this sort of thing regularly - go out and do a Request for Information, then cancel the whole affair after getting some guns to play with.

I suspect it's a combination of make-work for the office team, and keeping abreast of market developments.

Couple of soldiers I shoot uspsa with were telling me about some field surgeons that are connected to the special forces they were at JRTC for a rotation. They said these people were armed with UMPs

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention that has been praised and denounced... Served Hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history.

KRG 9/11/11, PSGS 3/23/12, CPM 8/11/12, ACPM 8/18/12, M4 Sniper Week 2/20/13, TMCO 4/27/13, ATM 10/26/13, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 6/19/15, CRG-1 9/26/15, TASI 1/23/16, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 9/30/16

Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post
    A pistol is a niche weapon too in a large mechanized army. I doubt they'd give everyone a sub gun, but a tank or air crew would certainly benefit from the use of them.
    Of course the SMG will not be for everyone - I was more thinking in the (rather common) direction of: why would you want a pistol caliber SMG for these uses when short assault rifles or dedicated PDWs will do a much better job?
    There was a dedicated and quite successful PDW back in WW2 (!) and now "we" are thinking about a pistol caliber SMG again? That is either for a very special and limited application or (much more likely) we are going in big, slow circles once more.

Meh.

It would be exciting if us peasants were able to purchase the original model. A semi-auto version is not the same to me. A glock PDW is lighter, likely smaller and more accurate not to mention significantly cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    If they want to defeat light body armor they might take a hard look at the 7.62x25 with improved projectiles. It is a battle tested round that has been extensively used in many theaters of war.
    If the must stay with the 9x19 parabellum, then they should look into high velocity sabot loads for the 9mm firing a tungsten core.
    BOFORS makes a 9mm AP round that we do not use for Clinton administration fear of it falling into civilian hands....
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....