Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The AR pistol is cool. I have a couple, and I'm sure I will have some more in the future. But these days the things that get the most use by far are my PDW and Stakeout. (Not counting the EDC of course)
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Upcoming classes:
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting

What range do you need?

What is the maximum "guaranteed death" range of 12 gauge Ammunition 2-3/4" 34 Pellets #4 buck?

Use 00 buck, death range isn’t guaranteed with anything except maybe 50bmg or bigger. The biggest question would be, will your training support the platform to ensure hits on a man size target out to 20-30 yards while they are shooting back?

I’m going to go with Brent on this. I have had an AR pistol in the vehicle for quite some time and do so now. However, after the shotgun course, I am convinced that the stakeout is a more appropriate choice for me and my situation. I’ll retire the AR pistol once my Tac-14 is fully converted over to a Stakeout by SI.

As for 12 Ga #4 buckshot, it depends on the brand and how it patterns in your individual shotgun. I think of #4 for 12 yards and less. I think of 00 buckshot (Federal LE 8 pellet reduced recoil)as 18 yards and less. I think of 12 Ga Slug (Federal LE Reduced Recoil) as 75 yards or less (although I’m pretty solid with it out to 110-125 yards).
    “How can I shoot people? Shooting people is easy. It is the simple application of the fundamentals of marksmanship. The hard part is ensuring that I have the physical strength to prevail, the moral strength to know when it is right to kill, and the mental strength to articulate the aftermath such that I maintain my freedom while they experience what comes next in the afterlife.”

Agree w CN’s range suggestions.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Upcoming classes:
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting

I run the fed top flight buck and fed slug at work.

With my Fakeout w slug sights I can headshot out to 15 and "work" center mass "no flyers" at 25 w the buck.

In a real fight in a rural setting I also know with the top flight I can drop at least half the buckshot onto the tango at 50 yards... most cases it was one or two flyers.

Not my first choice... but with the top flight ammo the range is extended.

Slugs... you should be able to reach out to 100 depending on skill.

The best thing about a gauge is its adaptability with different loads. Try them, test them... then train..
    Last edited by m48shooter; 05-12-2018 at 08:16 PM.