Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It’s all about money, lobbyists getting what they want and trying to fuck the homeowners and making it think it their idea. It’s fucking ingenious.....

Solar is booming in other states as well. But I think that is because it is subsidized at a rate of 55% for the equipment and install. I am against subsidies. I wonder if solar would stand on it's own as an efficient system if it were not subsidized? In the long run, solar may not be all that efficient when you take the subsidy out of the equation. Cost vs number of years. What happens when you need new shingles on your roof? Another hidden expense taking the solar panels down and reinstalling.

As to the Govt telling me that I am forced to buy a system for electric power, when normal electricity from a power plant is relatively inexpensive does not make much sense to me. I think the five-member California Energy Commission needs to be investigated as to who is in who's pocket.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Quote Originally Posted by Redbug View Post
    Solar is booming in other states as well. But I think that is because it is subsidized at a rate of 55% for the equipment and install. I am against subsidies. I wonder if solar would stand on it's own as an efficient system if it were not subsidized? In the long run, solar may not be all that efficient when you take the subsidy out of the equation. Cost vs number of years. What happens when you need new shingles on your roof? Another hidden expense taking the solar panels down and reinstalling.

As to the Govt telling me that I am forced to buy a system for electric power, when normal electricity from a power plant is relatively inexpensive does not make much sense to me. I think the five-member California Energy Commission needs to be investigated as to who is in who's pocket.
    I have also been concerned about the roof installation and maintenance issue.

I would not mind having a few panels for emergency purposes say to run a computer or charge a car battery for use during and after tropical storms or disasters.

Cheap natural gas is the most efficient way to generate electricity until we learn how to do it cheaper and better with nuclear energy.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by RayMich View Post
    This is just one more way for big brother to control our lives.

I will not be surprised if they put provisions that prevent homeowners from installing storage batteries so that they can keep their energy. They will claim that the extra electricity belongs to the community and not to the homeowner who generated it. This would be no different than some jurisdictions prohibiting people from catching and storing rainwater.
    There's a precedent for this already ... preventing people from collecting rainwater of all things. Don't know (or care) what the current status is, but just the fact that this was even considered is astonishing to me. Little real effect on the environment, but another ukase (I really like that word) pressed upon dumb, complacent people. If the gov't can threaten your freedom for simply storing something like water falling from the sky, we shouldn't be surprised at what else they can impose on us.

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/0...ffect-tuesday/
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Without knowing the actual law, this sounds like a Sun Tax, don't laugh Maryland already has a rain tax (supposedly to pay for Chesapeake bay clean up from polluted run off that goes into the bay--its BS of course but it IS a tax). As we already know the lunacy starts in Cali and jumps to the (Least) East Coast.

Regarding the "free" solar companies, well the one that solicited me specifically listed in the contract that a battery storage system was forbidden. Yeah I guess I could have just plugged in a few batty chargers; but what I wanted was a "Flip a Switch" system to go to batteries in the event of a power failure, etc. AND the company system was supposedly "sealed" to prevent and identify any type of tampering. Yeah I get that this was a company providing solar panels to me free BUT that free came with limitations on my freedom on my property.

I do think that solar is a good idea. I also recognize that is only cost effective because of the tax incentives. I'm torn on the incentives, on the one hand making it cheaper (because tax incentives) may lead to better solar systems AND on the other hand tax dollars are MY money....
    Last edited by EDELWEISS; 05-11-2018 at 05:43 AM.

Solar is just another layer in my tool box of independence....grid, wind, solar, propane generator, gasoline generator, battery,you get the drift. In my AO the utility has, and will, turn off the circuit if the winds pick up or the temperature climbs too much. They've been 'burned' seriously in court, and are not going to open themselves up for that again. Most folks are on wells, many are elderly, with health issues, so reliable power takes a bit more priority. As far as what they do or say in Sacramento...well, they can't enforce a fraction of the dribble they put on paper. GFT!

A couple years ago when Tesla cars were finally starting to take off, several CA people I knew all wanted them as daily drivers. Then I flew out there for work and noticed gas prices were $5/gallon when it was $2/gallon in the Midwest.

With those “incentives” I would have wanted an electric car and solar panels, too.

I asked them if they knew how much gas went for in free states. They had no idea. Then I asked them for theories why CA gas was so much higher. They both said “our roads are better.” Uh-huh...
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal1 View Post
    The problem is that this was done by a commission of appointed political hacks. The people had zero representation and have no recourse like they would if this was done by elected officials. We already have way to much regulation in this state and it never produces the outcome they claim it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed.

If solar and or wind generation made $ and Cents for SFR's there would be no need subsides or "appointed political hacks" making sweeping rules.All of the rules/ regulation / laws / fees have a purpose; that purpose is to create scarcity.The result of scarcity is more demand & higher prices.

The idea/concept/policy of affordable SFR housing in Ca. is a cruel myth.

Lived there from 1985-2008 ( M-F career in Title Insurance, Weekends sold Mtg $ ).
    Many are able, few are willing .

NV28

RGF,PSP,ACRG x 2,CRG x 2
    Intro PS Basics,Def Knife
    HITS-7 Vehicle Gunfighting Fundamentals
    TASI,CRG-3,M4 RGF
    Red Dot Pistol in S.A. Tx.
    Suarez Pistol Gunfighting School 10/13-15/2017 Houston, Texas.

Every couple years or so I get asked to relocate to So Cal. And every couple of years I tell them to match: the square footage of my property, the 1 hour commute to work max, and my net after local, state, and federal taxes, and to tack on a 20% salary increase for all the bother.

Invariably, after all their calculatin' is done they ask me if there are any openings available where I work...

Highly entertaining observing a state repeatedly fire both barrels into their foot...
    anonymity is underrated

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    A couple years ago when Tesla cars were finally starting to take off, several CA people I knew all wanted them as daily drivers. Then I flew out there for work and noticed gas prices were $5/gallon when it was $2/gallon in the Midwest.

With those “incentives” I would have wanted an electric car and solar panels, too.

I asked them if they knew how much gas went for in free states. They had no idea. Then I asked them for theories why CA gas was so much higher. They both said “our roads are better.” Uh-huh...
    That last line is shows just how brainwashed the communist sheep in California have become. They really believe they are in Utopia.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”