Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    The only time I got my rocks off on open carry was in my teens when I was in the army as an MP. Thought I was tuff stuff. I did a lot of growing up real quick and never even liked open carry in the woods much less in public. My hunting partner and I always kept our sidearms concealed, even though we were carrying long guns; this came in handy more than once when confronted with <cue banjo music> certain individuals.

The whole political use of open carry makes me sick. Most are insincere, using open carry as badges of authority or power they wish they had; reminds me of pacifiiers that millennials suck on while in college. I used to worry about the future of gun culture in America, but I'm to the point of WTF!? Guess I been reading too much of Gabe's philosophies. Anywho, I thought this was an appropriate open carry holster for certain ideologues:

Attachment 55631
    OK. I need one of those. That is awesome! I'll use it shooting steel challenge over the summer with my kids!

Open carry is for the Fudds. The only time I open carry is at home (100% of home invasions happen at home) but otherwise, it's concealed. The entire point of concealed carry is that nobody knows you are carrying.

I have never opened carried, just throwing out questions. I have never been in a situation that it was ok to do so, that’s my own experience.

Open carry is legal here in Wyoming, though I rarely see it being practiced. The three men I've seen open carrying were almost certainly ranch hands, as ranching (and old-school ranching) is still very much a thing around here. One of them carried a nice-looking 1911 in a beautifully-tooled leather strong-side holster, so I don't know if it was a fashion accessory or meant for killing. One of the others was a S&W in a modern kydex strong side holster. Can't remember the third. I will say that none of them looked like they couldn't handle themselves, but that probably comes more from a lifetime of hard work more than any specialized tactical training, but who knows. People around here are generally polite and don't look badly on guns.

That being said, the only time I open carry is on my own property, usually doing yard work. I don't feel like wearing a cover garment when it's 85 degrees and I'm working, and the neighbors are of like mind. I choose not to open carry because I don't want potential threats marking me as their first victim.
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    - Richard Rahl, The Sword of Truth

Formerly ArmyCadet08

The only times I open carry is when I don't care about concealment. At home, on property, sometimes while hiking, etc. Generally speaking while out in public I WANT to be concealed....I'm certainly not out there to make an open carry political statement, and I think it's clearly a tactical concern (if you don't think getting your gun snatched out of your holster is something to consider, you don't know what you don't know).

That said there are times I don't care. 99.9% of the time I'm carrying AIWB, normally with an untucked shirt. But if I'm on a long drive, I often tuck that shirt in. It's a little more comfortable and concealment isn't an issue. When I stop for gas, depending on circumstances I may not care enough to conceal it again (and concealing is easily accomplished if I change my mind).

And on the subject of not caring...there are plenty of times even when I'm concealed that I know I'm printing. If I think it's necessary I'll take some extra steps (choice of holster, gun, shirt, etc.) to ensure I'm not printing, buy in many cases I may not care enough to take that extra step.

Another time that I will open carry is when I'm teaching; it's just easier to run class that way. It's one less variable to deal with and students can see what's going on when I demonstrate stuff. My focus is on what the students are doing, ensuring everyone's safety, and making sure students get the best possible experience. Of course if I need to demonstrate drawing from concealment, that's easily accomplished.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Upcoming classes:
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting

Quote Originally Posted by patriot3386 View Post
    Open carry is legal here in Wyoming, though I rarely see it being practiced. The three men I've seen open carrying were almost certainly ranch hands, as ranching (and old-school ranching) is still very much a thing around here. One of them carried a nice-looking 1911 in a beautifully-tooled leather strong-side holster, so I don't know if it was a fashion accessory or meant for killing. One of the others was a S&W in a modern kydex strong side holster. Can't remember the third. I will say that none of them looked like they couldn't handle themselves, but that probably comes more from a lifetime of hard work more than any specialized tactical training, but who knows. People around here are generally polite and don't look badly on guns.

That being said, the only time I open carry is on my own property, usually doing yard work. I don't feel like wearing a cover garment when it's 85 degrees and I'm working, and the neighbors are of like mind. I choose not to open carry because I don't want potential threats marking me as their first victim.
    Idaho was similar to this. A lot of these guys work fairly physical laybor type work that I saw. I would have no problem what so ever in that environment carrying strong side in a tooled leather holster. I saw moose, and I know certain season the bear are thick. Carrying owb to me works better for situations like that when one moment you pick up about ten bales of hay, the next work on your tractor. Those are the last states that have that real pioneer feeling that people are still boarderline fronteers people.

I also want to add, one of the guys building the next door neighbors house that I befriended shuts his business down for winter and goes trapping. Not only did I not know that stuff still went on but I wast aware of the kinda money you can still make doing it.