Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1976 View Post
    Forensicgun wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. Now would that apply to a compact like the Sig P320 Compact, or just the shorter subcompacts? Is there a cut-off size for the barrel where you don't need specialty ammo?

It really has as much to do with the specific ammo as it will the firearm you are using. Different propellants have different burn rates. Those optimized for shorter bbls will burn more completely in a subcompact pistol than slower burning propellants. The only company I ever recall saying a specific BBL length was Hornady when they introduced their critical defense ammo. They said that line of ammo was intended to give you full performance in any firearm with a BBL 2" or longer. In working a few shooting reconstructions that involved that type of ammo, I would say that claim has some merit. In smaller calibers such as 25ACP, 32ACP, and 380ACP its not uncommon to see the HP bullet fail to expand at all (typically with subcompact pistols). When you get into 38SPL/9mm calibers and above, even in the short bbls the standard HP ammo will work, it just tends to not perform as well as the same bullet shot out of a compact or full size firearm.

My last several homicides that involved very small firearms such as the Glock 43 and the S&W shield was that the HP bullets did expand (gold dots & HST bullets). In short its not an all or nothing proposition. If you know what type of carry ammo your thinking of using and the BBL length of the pistol, let me know. If its something I have I will shoot a round or two and post the pictures showing the expansion of the recovered projectile.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Ok, now that's kinda sexy. Does it come in Scorpion?
    doesn't come in anything anymore, its discontinued

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Forensicgun wrote:

My last several homicides that involved very small firearms such as the Glock 43 and the S&W shield was that the HP bullets did expand (gold dots & HST bullets). In short its not an all or nothing proposition. If you know what type of carry ammo your thinking of using and the BBL length of the pistol, let me know. If its something I have I will shoot a round or two and post the pictures showing the expansion of the recovered projectile.
    Thanks! I do favor Gold Dot and HST ammo. Used to use Corbon until I heard it was having expansion issues (still have some old rounds to burn off in .45 for my HK USP). At this point, with the Sig P365 having a several month waiting list, I'll probably time that as a Christmas gift for myself, and in the meantime pick up either the Sig P320 Compact or Subcompact in the next week or two. The subcompact is a little easier to conceal, but I'm weighing which one to get since I rarely ever shoot a subcompact sized gun and it's going to take some getting used to. Not sure the difference in size is worth the trouble.

The compact has a 3.9" barrel and the subcompact has a 3.6" barrel, and I'd be using either Gold Dot or HST.
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu

Two questions for anyone/everyone:

1. The subcompact is .5" shorter and .6" lower (height), but sacrifices 3 rds. Who here thinks the small extra measure of concealability trumps having an extra 3 rds? I've always carried a Glock 19 or similar sized gun, never anything smaller, so I really have no hands-on experience with concealing a sub-compact. Does that 1/2" really make much difference?

2. I've heard that the Sig V-Crown is a good round, but how does it compare (real world experience) to Gold Dot or HST? Worth it, or not?
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu

Something maybe worth pointing out here is that small differences (as discussed above) in barrel length are often meaningless compared to differences between brands and even between different models of the same brand. (I'm talking specifically about velocity.)

For example, I've noticed with 2 different G43 and 2 S&W Shield pistols that velocity from the Shield is consistently slower than the 43, by more than a little bit. The difference in barrel length doesn't account for it. Just as a rough average of different loads I shot over the chrono, the Shields I measured gave up 100-150 fps to the little G43. My own G43 only gives up about 50 fps to any of my G19 barrels with loads ranging from mild to wild.

My point here is not to brag about the G43, but just to say don't put too much stock in barrel length numbers.