Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CDX09 View Post
    I ran this exact shotgun for an afternoon, and it was really impressive. There really is no comparison between this and a stock tac14. It'd be like comparing a stock G17 to a complete SI 17 with RMR.
    Good comparison but I think the improvement is even greater than that.

+1 on the rifle sights in combo with the dual illum RMR. Particularly on a Stakeout, but also on the braced versions. Seriously...comparing that combo to a bead, it’s like comparing to a car with a blacked out windshield. The difference really is that stark. You can still drive with your head out the window, but a real windshield makes it a lot easier.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Upcoming classes:
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting

Great to hear the comparison, and knowing the customization makes a real difference.

Is the Amphibian different than the Stakeout with the NP3 finish option?
    I'm also assuming "rifle sights" are the same as "slug sights" in the option list.
    When I price the two out, and what appears to be identical options (ported, slug sights, RMR mount, mag extension), the Amphibian is $1,504.99 and the Stakeout NP3 is $1,689.99.

Like to hear some experiences with the brace. I'm presuming the brace makes the Amphibian/Stakeout on part with the Patrol/Raider/stock.

At what range are you guys setting the zero for a Stakeout? Have any trends been observed in finding a slug/buckshot combo that keeps a close POI between the two within buckshot distances?

On Gabe's gun, I noticed that the forward sling attachment appears to be bent. What is the purpose of that? (I'm assuming it was intentional, and he didn't accidentally bend it muzzle punching someone.)
    Virtute et Armis

I don’t claim to understand or know the variations; however, I do know this: what constitutes a NP3’d, rifle-sighted, extended magazine, Stakeout with an RMR is a force to be reckoned with the likes never before available. In skilled hands, driven by will, it can easily do whatever needs to be done to greater than 100 yards.

This fact is based on first-hand observation filtered by experience.
    Last edited by JonathanNobody; 04-13-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    At what range are you guys setting the zero for a Stakeout? Have any trends been observed in finding a slug/buckshot combo that keeps a close POI between the two within buckshot distances?

On Gabe's gun, I noticed that the forward sling attachment appears to be bent. What is the purpose of that? (I'm assuming it was intentional, and he didn't accidentally bend it muzzle punching someone.)
    We zeroed with slugs at 25 yards. That allows a good POI for slugs out to 100 as well as appropriate buckshot distances. We easily hit the little lollipop steels (about the size of a face at 10-15 yards). We used bird, #4 and 00 with the Stakeout at those distances to excellent effect.

I thought I heard Mike say a good number of 00 buck pellets still hit the torso at 100, but I may have misheard.

Federal #1 flitecontrol performs basically like a slug out to 20, and just starts to open at 25. You can push that load out further but I didn’t test it personally.

25 yard zero works excellent. Of course you have to pattern your shotgun with the ammo you intend to carry.

Gabe’s sling loop is bent because he threw it on the ground during the safety lecture. He was humorously making the point that the muzzle covers SOMETHING you’re not willing to destroy no matter where you have it pointed, so he tossed it.
    Last edited by Brent Yamamoto; 04-14-2018 at 01:25 AM.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by RobertGuy View Post
    Is the Amphibian different than the Stakeout with the NP3 finish option?
    Only difference is the finish. Both have NP3 on the bolt and action bars. Otherwise the Stakeout is Ceracoated; standard is grey but other colors are available. The Amphibian is all NP3; it’s a tougher finish but costs a bit more. Vent rib barrels aren'ta good choice for NP3; the solder won’t hold up to the heat of application.

I'm also assuming "rifle sights" are the same as "slug sights" in the option list. yes

When I price the two out, and what appears to be identical options (ported, slug sights, RMR mount, mag extension), the Amphibian is $1,504.99 and the Stakeout NP3 is $1,689.99. NP3 costs a bit more. Rifle sights cost more than the bead, mostly due to the work involved.

Like to hear some experiences with the brace. I'm presuming the brace makes the Amphibian/Stakeout on part with the Patrol/Raider/stock.
    The brace essentially makes it an SBS. One thing to keep in mind though is that braces are designed to be BRACES. They are a bit thicker on top and effectively give you a higher cheek weld. With a bead, you really have to crush your cheek down for a good sight picture. It works but I did not find this comfortable. But sights and/or RMR work great and allow for a more comfortable cheek weld.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes: