Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My teacher wrote the forward for Kris's book Way of Sanchin:
    Attachment 55277

Attachment 55278

Sanchin is an example of a kata that teaches fundamental principles. You'll never see it in a competition...honestly it's rather boring to watch. But because the "fancy stuff" is left out, it allows you to focus on foundational items. Body structure, Iron Shirt (those of you who've punched me understand this one), unbendable arm, etc. This is why you don't change kata to make it look cool. It distracts from the real purpose.

When I fight, I wouldn't say that I look like I'm doing Sanchin, but I'm absolutely applying the principles it teaches.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    This is why you don't change kata to make it look cool. It distracts from the real purpose.
    Cue Instructor Zero or Taran Butler......
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Thank you Gabe and Brent. That answers my question perfectly. Very minor adjustments, holster placement like Gabe origionally mentioned, and cover garments are the only variation I could ever see adjusting in Diagonal Lines.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

Kata teaches you HOW TO MOVE. That's pretty obvious, but it's also a lot deeper than just what you see; it's more than just "put your fight foot here and your left foot there". I hate to use the word "internal" because it sounds like mystical, Use the Force Luke bullshit. But for lack of a better word, internal will have to do.

Things like how and when to shift your weight. Where your intent should be focused. Which muscles to relax and which to contract, and when. Unbendable arm, visualization, etc. just for a few examples.

Kata also includes APPLICATION. How a technique or skill is actually applied in battle may or may not be obvious from simply watching the kata being performed. This is where visualization comes in...once you get the movement and technique down, you need to begin visualizing using it against an opponent. Practiced correctly, kata becomes a very powerful training tool.

You can of course practice the individual applications against a training partner.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Imagine Diagonal Lines WITHOUT your understanding of Get Off The X, and the WHY of what we do? It makes no sense. Add what we know and it makes perfect sense.
    Gabriel Suarez

From a textcussion with Payne.

Its easier to teach a fighter the gun, than to teach a shooter to fight.
    Gabriel Suarez

This is what has been missing (at least for me) from most training. Simply brilliant, Gabe.

I have been eagerly waiting for this since it was first mentioned. It does not disappoint. Thanks for this Gabe, I will be practicing this in the garage tomorrow. I may make a video and post it here when I think I have feel for the movements.

I honestly never considered kata would catch up to gunfighting but, it makes sense because it IS gun...FIGHTING. Just like karate. I'm glad you stressed every move has a purpose because people not familiar with karate may not understand.

As a youth, I never understood why I was folding my arms before dwi-ro dor-a (I will probably have to look up the spelling so forgive me) and thought it was for show. In reality, the folds, steps, punches, etc. had very specific purposes for each. I didn't understand any of that until I was near 18 but that was because I focused on fighting more than learning the art. When I graduated from high school in 2000, I took the art more seriously.
    Chris

It is interesting that, even though your background is karate, the gun kata looked just like bagua.