Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Japanese born judo teacher that was trained in a Jujitsu like style in the late 1940's told us that the introduction of guns had a lot to do with people not being so interested in learning the traditional styles of Japanese fighting. He said what he was training in had a lot of low kicks and close in punches. In high school his school not having any boxers entered him into a boxing match. He keep starting to raise his leg to kick and the crowd started laughing. Finally he become exhausted and in desperation grabbed his opponent around the neck with one arm and punched in him in the face and was disqualified. Real fighting was what some styles of jujitsu were like.
    Final scene in Yojimbo fighting a man with a gun. Watch Yojimbo get off the X.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

What type of sandals is he standing on and why?
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Default ON KATA - AND A FEW OTHER THINGS

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post

What type of sandals is he standing on and why?
    Geta...with off-road lift kits, IIRC.
    ;-[[
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

The medieval Japanese version of Vibram Soled boots.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Just a guess on my part, but it looks like what someone would wear when working in rice patty or other soft terrain. If you can keep your balance in those and fight, you are good. For me a problem has also always been balance.

Default ON KATA - AND A FEW OTHER THINGS

If you can keep your balance in those and fight, you are good. For me a problem has also always been balance.
    FWIW, as one becomes more seasoned and of higher mileage, the more important leg strength (lifting, hiking, pedaling, rowing) and controlled movement (kata, dancing, yoga) become to improving. May seem obvious to most, but you must up your participation and be consistent. Karate provides me with both as a daily reminder of need and benefit.
    Thanks Brent, Craig, Randy, and the dojo tribe for the immersion, encouragement,and patience.

Great time to be on the Suarez-Ryu launch-mat!
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Just a guess on my part, but it looks like what someone would wear when working in rice patty or other soft terrain. If you can keep your balance in those and fight, you are good. For me a problem has also always been balance.
    You can still buy them. I have a pair that I'd occasionally train in. I probably should take them out of storage and practice with them again.

They are traditional outdoor footwear and not martial arts-specific footwear.
    "Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Liu View Post
    You can still buy them. I have a pair that I'd occasionally train in. I probably should take them out of storage and practice with them again.

They are traditional outdoor footwear and not martial arts-specific footwear.
    Is it just Japan or are they worn in other parts of Asia?

I don't know if other countries wear them. I don't recall seeing them in the Philippines.
    "Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Demosthenes View Post
    FWIW, as one becomes more seasoned and of higher mileage, the more important leg strength (lifting, hiking, pedaling, rowing) and controlled movement (kata, dancing, yoga) become to improving. May seem obvious to most, but you must up your participation and be consistent. Karate provides me with both as a daily reminder of need and benefit.
    Thanks Brent, Craig, Randy, and the dojo tribe for the immersion, encouragement,and patience.

Great time to be on the Suarez-Ryu launch-mat!
    The will is everything. My father made up his mind he was going to be old, and act like an old man, this last spring. Now he is in hospice.

Better this:

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

-Dylan Thomas
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

358. And a wakeup.