Default Bring your puny blade to my knife fight

WIN_20180309_153313.jpg Been working on polishing this thing for years and now it is really beginning to look good. I pull it out every once in a while to work on it. Japanese WW2 Koa Isshin Mantetsu blade. I have only 40-50 more hours on it before I get where I want it to be. These blades are supposed to be some of the best ever made. Supposedly they will make quick work of chain mail armor. One thing is for sure, you have to be extremely careful at this point in the process because the slightest touch on the cutting edge of the blade will draw blood. The blade was brought back from the war by an uncle of mine and I ended up with it. Really wasn't in that great shape when I got it. Looked into having it professionally polished, but around $2500 for the service deterred me. I had better things to do with the money. I read an awful lot and did a lot of research, then went to work. I'd like to learn how to use it properly, but there is only so much time in the day. I learned the basics of fencing from a grand master who was a student of Giorgio Santelli, but this thing is totally different from a foil or epee. I know it could do some serious damage in close. If they ever take my guns, I'll learn how to use it.

Very nice, good that you’re doing the restore yourself.
    ~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"It is good to be strong, but better to know how to use it."
    - Jimmy H. Woo (Chin Siu Dek)

"Conquer we must; as Conquer we shall.
    - Sir Winston

There are at least 2 dozen kendo clubs/dojos within the greater metropolitan area where I live, the last time I did a search. There are several places teaching iaido, too. I bet you could find something close to you if you were so inclined.
    "Hey I've got an idea! We should make welfare as easy to get as VA benefits."
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Very cool. Sure it must be rewarding getting it to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlassit View Post
    I'd like to learn how to use it properly, but there is only so much time in the day. I learned the basics of fencing from a grand master who was a student of Giorgio Santelli, but this thing is totally different from a foil or epee.
    Do you live in the Pacific Northwest? There's a few serious koryu sword dojo out that way teaching legit kenjutsu.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway