Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Maxim Defense brace closes a bit shorter (inch or so) then the SB Tactical brace. Plus the Max Defense is a better brace AND it can be used in the closed position. How much that solves your problem is an issue of the bag. Id shop for bags.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    This may be of interest (regarding bag selection):

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...dc-gamut-plus/

The smaller version of that bag is at the top of my list when I'm ready to do what you're discussing, followed by the new line that Maxpedition just released.
    Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    The Maxim Defense brace closes a bit shorter (inch or so) then the SB Tactical brace. Plus the Max Defense is a better brace AND it can be used in the closed position. How much that solves your problem is an issue of the bag. Id shop for bags.
    Looks like there's a picture of an AR pistol with the Maxim brace in that article. Now I'm curious if my AR with the SB PDW (at 25" OAL) would squeeze into that Vertx bag on a diagonal.

There's no problem with using the SB PDW brace in the closed position, it's the Law folder that can only take one shot if it's closed. Though the same AR with the Law folder is about 4" shorter in overall length vs the SB PDW and had little problem fitting in generic day packs.
    RDS Pistol School - June 24-26, 2016, SGF-1 - April 29-30, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCadet84 View Post
    Sweet, thanks. How long is your 8"-9" build when folded? I need to plan my next backpack purchase
    Sorry for the delay, couldn't find my old pics so took some more. This one is a little over 19" folded, with the 9" barrel plus flash hider. The backpack is nothing special or "tactical", just an ordinary pack not one of the mini packs or the big hiking packs.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    My understanding is that if it's built as a rifle first, it can't be a pistol. If pistol first, you can switch back and forth. Just to make it easy, I got some lowers marked "pistol" so I don't have to explain it if somebody ever questions it.

Do your own research, of course.
    Definately research...because I believe that if you make a pistol on the first use of a lower...then put a rifle on that lower, you can never go backwards...

if a lower has been a pistol, yo can concert it to a rifle, but not go back...

if a lower has been a rifle, it can never become a pistol...

check it out...
    War is the realm of uncertainty; three quarters of the factors on which action in war is based are wrapped in a fog of greater or lesser uncertainty. A sensitive and discriminating judgment is called for; a skilled intelligence to scent out the truth.

20 inches when folded...

A0468791-9575-4EB6-9B68-EAAC20271D63.jpg
    War is the realm of uncertainty; three quarters of the factors on which action in war is based are wrapped in a fog of greater or lesser uncertainty. A sensitive and discriminating judgment is called for; a skilled intelligence to scent out the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by von Clausewitz View Post
    Definately research...because I believe that if you make a pistol on the first use of a lower...then put a rifle on that lower, you can never go backwards...

if a lower has been a pistol, yo can concert it to a rifle, but not go back...

if a lower has been a rifle, it can never become a pistol...

check it out...
    Not true; that was ATF's stance at one time but that was changed years ago. As long as the lower receiver was sold as "other" or "pistol", and change from pistol to rifle and back again as much as you want. The only restriction there is if it was sold as a rifle originally, it can't be made into a pistol.

My AR Pistol backpack setup. DDm4 V7s 11.5 inch upper on Spikes Lower with Aimpoint Pro, fixed DD front sight, MBUS Pro flip up rear sight, Geissele SSA trigger, Law Tactical Folder with Tailhook Mod 2 brace. Carried in Sentinel Concepts bag with 3 Mag cards, IFAK(stuffed below mag cards), gloves, hydration, firestarter, spare knife, and spare light in the front pocket.
    20180610_024510.jpg20180610_024625.jpg20180610_024809.jpg20180610_024834.jpg20180610_024904.jpg20180610_024940.jpg
    Gun owners tend to cast their arguments in civil rights terms. We tend to love freedom and claim to be willing to defend it against all tyranny. We should be the last people to support, either blatantly or passively, the suppression of the rights of other groups. -Len