Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In real life, the flexibility illustrated by touching one's toes, or doing the splits on two trucks is totally irrelevant.

The flexibility that will help you not only fight well should you be called to do so, but also live well is not best described by that word. At 58 (180-190 depending on training) and pretty strong, I could not do the splits or kick someone in the head...but I can squat 350 and deadlift 450. I can also instinctively relax and move if I need to. A few months ago I wrote about tripping on something and transferring into a forward roll without a thought...and I am not a Judo guy. I also wrote about the Shield maiden throwing the dog's ball and me evading it without analyzing.

Suppleness?
    Adaptability?

I don't know...but flexibility is not what describe what we are looking for here. I think it is a far better thing to be able to deadlift 2.5 times your bodyweight than to be able to do the splits...but maybe that is just me...although I have done both at one time or another.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Mobility may be a better one. If we look at some of the strongest dudes in the planet, they may not be as mobile as others. The ability to explode into action from stillness without self-injury is important. Where you are now...could you without warm up go sprint 50 yards at top speed...and not hurt yourself? How about just get up and deadlift your bodyweight (hardly worthy of any consideration among the strong, but an example of what I refer to).

Look an Brent and I in the kata videos. I can tell you there was no warm up...we just did it. The only prep on my part was setting up the camera and unloading my pistol.

Explosive Mobility. Hmm. Better.

This is far more important than this below

Gabe Suarez

And this is far more impressive than this below

Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Mobility may be a better one. If we look at some of the strongest dudes in the planet, they may not be as mobile as others. The ability to explode into action from stillness without self-injury is important. Where you are now...could you without warm up go sprint 50 yards at top speed...and not hurt yourself? How about just get up and deadlift your bodyweight (hardly worthy of any consideration among the strong, but an example of what I refer to).

Explosive Mobility. Hmm. Better.
    Beat me to it (work often interrupts posting).

Mobility is what we need for the explosive movement required for fighting.

Not sure what the scientific definition is but I don't really care. I think mobility is a combination of strength, flexibility and skill.

"Functional strength" is probably overused. But maybe "functional flexibility" is a component to consider.

What is functional flexibility?

Ability to drop to rice paddy prone and accurately shoot your rifle. Ability to quickly shift your kneeling position to accurately fire your rifle behind you. Ability to quickly get up from the floor when you've been knocked down. Ability to throw a punch without throwing out your back.

I sometimes carry a second pistol on my 9 o'clock...being able to reach it with my right hand from in front or behind my back would be an extreme case but I'm still happy I can do it (and I've used it training for ground fighting).

I'm not too worried about it. But maybe we need a list of shit people should be able to do. What else counts as functional flexibility?

Extreme flexibility is only a great thing in the gymnast/dancer you're dating.
    Last edited by Brent Yamamoto; 04-04-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Upcoming classes:
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting

Gabe, Brent,

Thanks, that was my intention with posting this.

Jim

ISA 6:8

I guess I am just a weak little girl that will never be a badass...

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Those are easily accomplished. This sentiment is exactly the kind of thing I have always had as the main goal. Though like a lot of things its something that must be worked towards and maintained for most people. I see flexibility and mobility work as one of the tools to achieve that type of conditioning.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Brent is (or was last time I saw him, presume he still is) VERY mobile/flexible. Far more flexible than Iíve ever been.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012