Default Backpacking Stove

Does anyone use the adapters to run the stoves on straight propane? I was thinking that there may be occasions when I would want to run a MSR Pocket Rocket or the 2 version with a larger straight propane tank. Any thoughts? I would think that the larger tank would be better for a vehicle setup/emergency stove. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IBX2000 View Post
    Does anyone use the adapters to run the stoves on straight propane? I was thinking that there may be occasions when I would want to run a MSR Pocket Rocket or the 2 version with a larger straight propane tank. Any thoughts? I would think that the larger tank would be better for a vehicle setup/emergency stove. Thanks.
    If this is for a vehicle setup why not just use the stove top set up they sell that screws on to the top of the little propane tank?

It not like its much bigger then the tank itself and if you are already lugging around the tank....

Something that would take up even less room in a vehicle would be just get one of those cans they heat chafing dishes with. Probably be good the keep warm inside if you break down in the cold also. Id prefer that to a can of pressurized flammable gas in the trunk lol

7M3

For what some of the adaptors cost you could just buy another stove. Maybe not a MSR brand but still.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

The MSR pocket rocket runs on Isobutane/Propane mix. The 1lb propane tanks do not fit so the 1lb to 20lb adapter hose will not work either. Now I have used those hoses with larger camping stoves (coleman) and they work great. I think they run about $20. I have also used the refill adapters to fill 1lb tanks from a 20lb tank. They do pretty well also particularly if you freeze the empty 1lb tank and leave the 20lb tanks in the sun for a while during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by IBX2000 View Post
    Hey IBX, I bought one of those little units from kovea (isobutane backpacking stone to 1lb propane green can converter) for under $20 but haven't gotten to use it yet.

Will have to dig in the camping box and pull it out to try it.

For back packing why run an MSR? I assume the back pack is on your back and not in a car. Have you considered a light weight folding esbit style stove and alcohol jel?

i have a SVEA 123 that is 30+ years old and still working. Runs on most flammable liquids. I have used alcohol, Coleman fuel, unleaded gasoline, and even paint thinner once. Small light and indestructible.

You all are so fancy. I'm over here in the corner with my canteen cup and stove :-)

I guess I wasn't clear. I want to use the one pound coleman tanks on the msr pocket rocket. This would be part of a car kit.