Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    From Shan Hays: "The night is dark and full of terrors...be one of them"
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    Sounds like youre in the business, glad to see another brother looking for continual improvement.

I Tried the strobe, but prefer simple on/off pressure switch. On non shooting contact (like your guy in the bed) "pin em with the light" (solid on) so you can see hostile action without the strobe more easily, as cover officer(s) and let the contact officer(s) get the job done. During search phase AND you need light. When you are flashing during movement (not using NVG) the stobe attracts more attention and focus than the on for a sec, off for 10 sec use as the strobe "fires" several times during that second it was on. Coincidentally why rescue kits also use Strobes of different varieties, to attract attention. You have already "bleached" the eye with your initial blast to the face of solid white light.

Off duty a Inova 2 AAA flashlight with pocket clip rides in the same place. Allows for those parking lot conversations to be had on unequal grounds ;) without taking up much space . Ive tried the surefire micro light on a g19, but it doesnt fit my preferred holster off duty.
    Nice to see another brother around the campfire, but I agree with Coastal here. I've had strobes... even the new patrol light stinger has a strobe. I have played assaulter and tango with sims and I can't say that "I" feel there is a benefit to them. If I want to see them, then I want to"SEE" them. My white light is for "ME" not them. They wont know I'm there until I use it and closer I can get before I tell them the better.

Clearing houses and other dynamic situations require as much information as fast as I can absorb it... if my light is flashing on and off then there are brief moments when I cannot see what the tango is doing. Think of rave strobes. I agree with Coastal "pin em with the light." If I am using white light then they can see me, and I use it accordingly. Movement is your friend.

You sound like you have solid training my friend, a quite a few doorways under your belt, so don't take this as a personal attack, just a difference of tactics.

Be safe

I've probably said it a thousand times at this point when it comes to light. I like to be in at 90 lumens of incandescent light for indoor work and no more. There is just way too much splash with anything higher. For outdoor work, unless I'm concerned about the risk of light signature I'll go brighter (200+ LED) because I may need the extra splash for something I may have missed, I'm less concerned with blinding myself, and I may need it to reach further.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Great dialog, thanks for the thought provoking discussion. I'm not LEO, I am prior military. I do carry a light regularly in an industrial maintenance environment. The one I have does have a strobe. No, I'm not following up light with lead, but I can tell you that the strobe is useful to grab attention, but useless to see something. My weapon lights are all simple off-on units for this reason.

I have used a "manual strobe" for many years, to get attention of other deputies in a non-tactical environment, and when needed to "talk" with helo. You can "wiggle" the light, or tap,tap,tap the button. Either works, but I would not be using it when I needed to SEE something. And I do it knowing full well EVERYONE knows where I am when I do, not just the ones I am communicating with. Same effect can be utilized with simple colored lenses, occluding the bezel, ect...

Again different techniques for different jobs...

That should be printed on one of those “beat me up t-shirts” that I only wear to the range or work gym. I like it! Thanks to the others who shared their input, especially those in LE - I’m not married to any particular tactic or piece of gear, and will continue to evolve both.

SO nice to see a discussion forum where folks speak like respectful adults to each other. I think I may have found my forever home...

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    Sounds like youre in the business, glad to see another brother looking for continual improvement.

I Tried the strobe, but prefer simple on/off pressure switch. On non shooting contact (like your guy in the bed) "pin em with the light" (solid on) so you can see hostile action without the strobe more easily, as cover officer(s) and let the contact officer(s) get the job done. During search phase AND you need light. When you are flashing during movement (not using NVG) the stobe attracts more attention and focus than the on for a sec, off for 10 sec use as the strobe "fires" several times during that second it was on. Coincidentally why rescue kits also use Strobes of different varieties, to attract attention. You have already "bleached" the eye with your initial blast to the face of solid white light.

Off duty a Inova 2 AAA flashlight with pocket clip rides in the same place. Allows for those parking lot conversations to be had on unequal grounds ;) without taking up much space . Ive tried the surefire micro light on a g19, but it doesnt fit my preferred holster off duty.
    Thanks for the reply brother - you reminded me of a possible replacement for my little pocket EDC light that is over 8 years old. Have you folks seen these two new lights? https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...ex/protac-2l-x and https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ.../protac-1l-1aa

To echo what Gabe and others mentioned here, Surefire lost me several years ago when they got too Gucci for their own market. Quality products, but dramatically overpriced.

This is the light I use for off duty carry and post incident (the search after the arrest) I modified the pocket clip a bit to be more secure in the pocket.

http://www.niteize.com/product/Inova...Flashlight.asp
    Last edited by coastalcop; 02-14-2018 at 07:06 AM.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

My not at work EDC is the Streamlight Stylus Pro. Puts out about as much light as an old 6P but clips onto my off hand pocket and disappears. I have Stingers and big Surefires when I'm openly carrying at work or strapped into a tac vest... but the little guy gets the most use...light in one pocket and spyderco in the other.

stylus pro.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_M View Post
    That should be printed on one of those “beat me up t-shirts” that I only wear to the range or work gym. I like it! Thanks to the others who shared their input, especially those in LE - I’m not married to any particular tactic or piece of gear, and will continue to evolve both.

SO nice to see a discussion forum where folks speak like respectful adults to each other. I think I may have found my forever home...
    AGREED... of al of the above, it would make a great shirt....

As to the tribe... this is the only place I go on the internet..

welcome to the campfire brother