Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Btw, I’m in Inglewood right now I wish I had it.....

Re Colts, I have one of the recent production Series 80 guns in .45 (01991). Mine runs great, and accurate. They also made them in .38 Super (02991) but they're no longer in Colt's current lineup. Thus, the few new ones that are left out there are running about $200 more than their .45 equivalents. I would like to get into .38 Super myself one day, but I prefer the more historic-looking Colts (vertical serrations, classic roll marks, original beaver tails, etc.) as opposed to some of the stuff in their current catalog.

Outside of classic Colts, I think a hard-chromed Les Baer Stinger or an Ed Brown bobtail commander in .38 Super would be a great 1911 carry option.

As for grips on a Colt, I picked up some nice faux-bones for mine...

Colt 1991 new shoes - left.jpg
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

The answers about laws banning military calibers are correct. The .38 Super (and Super Comp) also became popular in gun games that allowed compensated guns, because the higher muzzle velocity apparently made a more powerful blast of gasses out of the compensator ports, which better controlled muzzle flip.

John W in SC

The 38 super was the go to gun back in Chile, carried a pair of them polished nickel, stag grips, blended in with all the other guys packed, only thing better would have been the newer 9x23 round, but it wasn't around them
    All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.

Samuel Butler

FACIEM TUAM, DOMINC, REQUIRAM

Damn it now you guys have got me wanting a 38 Super. Sooooo considering the easy availability of quality 9mm's VS the much harder to find 38Super--in 1911s, is 38 Super worth the searching if we're looking for it as a self defense/carry gun???

I wanna say yeah its worth the effort; but Ive seen ten+ 9mm 1911's in the last year; but only one 38 Super and that was from an estate sale. I was tempted when I saw the 38 Super; but it was way outside my toy budget at the time and only came with one mag. I ended up snagging a smoking deal on a stainless Ruger 1911 Commander with six mags. It was a special order the buyer refused to take because he didn't think the colours matched the ad, so he lost most of his deposit and I snatched it.

I'm NOT opposed to specialty guns/cartridges; but I do sorta wanna know that I can pick up ammo without having to visit the Ammo Troll who lives under the covered bridge....

Look up ammo in bulk. I saw stuff for 200-300 for 1000 rounds for training. Also defense rounds cost about the same as anything else. There is actually quite a bit of availability. You know how to shoot already, you aren’t going to have to do a tremendous amount of live fire stuff with it.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    ... is 38 Super worth the searching if we're looking for it as a self defense/carry gun???

... Ive seen ten+ 9mm 1911's in the last year; but only one 38 Super...

I'm NOT opposed to specialty guns/cartridges; but I do sorta wanna know that I can pick up ammo without having to visit the Ammo Troll who lives under the covered bridge....
    My love for the 1911 platform is mostly romantic and historical in nature, so to me, the appeal of the .38 Super is magnified by the fact that the caliber (and it's predecessor, the .38 ACP) were created specifically for the 1911 platform (and its immediate predecessors)... whereas the 1911 had to be modified to accept 9mm. The original 9mm 1911 was an accommodation of sorts, in that the mag well and grip are far larger than required for 9mm and the frame is over-engineered for 9mm. Of course, with ~60 years to work on it, many 1911 makers have now created very reliable 9mm models that are very soft shooting in those 35-40oz steel frames. Still, to me, the appeal of 9mm is largely one of capacity, i.e, GLOCKS, and the idea of a 40oz single stack 9mm that falls in between the G43 and G26 in capacity just doesn't tingle my dingle. I'm sure others there are others who disagree.

A hot .38 Super +P on the other hand...
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

I have always wanted one of the ipsc .38 super guns setup with a shoulder/arm brace setup, large RDS optics, and 2.5 lb triggers. I do someday intend to get an arm brace for my P14.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

A friend had a Super set up with an Aimpoint for a steel gun . It was my first exposure to a red dot on a pistol . Worked great , but was completely impractical for anything besides the Steel Challenge . 20 years later and I have an SI Glock 17 in my holster , a slide for my 19 ( waiting for an RMR) . I still drag out a 1911 at times and remember why I love them . Couldn't tell you the last time I carried one - weight and capacity . But a good one is a joy to shoot .

I saw the weight was an issue when I ran a 1911 for my first SI class. I actually pussed out and finished the last half of the first day and the second day with my Glock 19. As far as round count, I think you can carry 11 with factory mags. That is a a whole lot better then a revolver(not including ease of reloads) and simalar to some of your smaller load out carry pistols. I would definitely be confident in using it everyday carry.