Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Be careful, I was running Camel bone on a 1911 in 45acp, and I noticed a crack after maybe 500 rounds. They are still useable but definitely cracked. There are some good looking faux options. I even dyed a set of white polymer grips (too bright) with tea and coffee grounds. I soaked them in the solution for a few days until the colour was "right". I even got a little "pattern" by varying the concentration/placement of the goo.

Love all this 1911 talk. Its NOT the gun Id pick to parachute into N Korean in search of Osama; but now that I'm retired, a 1911 and 3+ mags seems OK for some lite days around the Green Zone.
    Lol, yeah I can see how they could crack. I am running some plastic pearl grips on the two 45s I have. They have been good, I actually was going to trade them out with the original rubber ones that Kimber sent with my custom IIs, but low and behold I locktited them on. So, I guess they are staying....:)

I’m thinking of just getting a Colt, dose anyone have any objections?

The rim is said to add nothing to the .38 acp and supper performance. The newer guns do not attempt to headspace on that tiny semi-rim and are said to be more accurate for not doing so. Measurements appear to be in mm metric. The rim seems to be 10.36 mm and the case 9.75 in diameter. The .32 ACP is another semi-rimmed case.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I've got the Competition Government SS in 9mm - highly recommend it . If I may also be so bold , let me suggest the 9mm . I get the nostalgia of the Super , but you can get 95 +% of the performance from the 9 , cost of factory ammo is not even close . Mine shoots like a laser . I'm even going to put a Trijicon front night sight on it ( Just leery of durability of the fiber optic front ) - Sights are genuine Novaks also . Very nice gun .

Quote Originally Posted by uglydog03 View Post
    I've got the Competition Government SS in 9mm - highly recommend it . If I may also be so bold , let me suggest the 9mm . I get the nostalgia of the Super , but you can get 95 +% of the performance from the 9 , cost of factory ammo is not even close . Mine shoots like a laser . I'm even going to put a Trijicon front night sight on it ( Just leery of durability of the fiber optic front ) - Sights are genuine Novaks also . Very nice gun .
    I will keep it in mind.

Was not really trying to talk you out of the Super - when guys are set on one that is it . I have been very impressed with the Colts I've seen lately . Impressed enough to think I might need another one in .45 . The Competition Governments are now all series 70 guns . Mine is an 80 and I got nothing bad to say about it - and they make it in 38 Super .

I have a colt combat elite in 38 super I bought in 1995. A very solid piece. I donít hand load like I once did ó I would not buy a 38 super if i didnít handload. All the factory 130 ball ammo is trash and the good stuff is too expensive to shoot in volume. I really liked the Hornady 140 Grain .357 bullet over a good portion of AA7. If you do much with the soup you will probably want to fit the 1911 with a fully supported barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    I’m thinking of just getting a Colt, dose anyone have any objections?
    Live large. Oughtta be a Colt, with the horse on it, nickel plated and engraved. Think National Match clone.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

358. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Live large. Oughtta be a Colt, with the horse on it, nickel plated and engraved. Think National Match clone.
    I held one of the Wiley Clapp edition commanders recently and fell in love. I might be on here talking about 1911’s soon as well...
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    That’s what I’m thinking bro.