Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default C39V2 AK - Ticking Time Bomb? With Rob Ski

Long video, but bears an important safety warning for those shooting AKs of substandard manufacture. When I googled this topic the internet was full of glowing reviews from what obviously people that were not telling the truth.

I will get some gauges for my 7.62x39 weapons after watching this. Mine are likely fine since they were made in foreign arsenals, but checking the head space is the way to be sure.

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I had about 10,000 rounds through a polish 47 from them. It had the same milled receiver but polish bolt and I never checked it? It never blew up, I wish I still had both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    I had about 10,000 rounds through a polish 47 from them. It had the same milled receiver but polish bolt and I never checked it? It never blew up, I wish I still had both of them.
    More than likely your old gun is still good to go. If you get a gun made to military spec/ also materials or at least to the basic tolerances expected in any firearm probably all is good. Gauges are probably a good idea. I need them in .308/7.62x51, 5.56, and 7.62x39.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    More than likely your old gun is still good to go. If you get a gun made to military spec/ also materials or at least to the basic tolerances expected in any firearm probably all is good. Gauges are probably a good idea. I need them in .308/7.62x51, 5.56, and 7.62x39.
    For sure, I was going to at one time start fooling around with barreling bolt guns. That’s as far as I got was thinking, and never bought gauges.

Is the dude that made the video still on here?

You mean to tell me that Bubba Boogerhook's garage build during Super Bowl is not as good as a Steyr or a Noveske...or an Arsenal?

No way...
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Century Arms - there's your problem right there. Stuff they import can be okay. Anything they've made themselves is junk.
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchV View Post
    Century Arms - there's your problem right there. Stuff they import can be okay. Anything they've made themselves is junk.
    You hit very close to the nail head. You would think they would be frightened of the liability from putting out such products. The C39V2 AK is said to be a "Milled 4140 ordnance-quality steel receiver delivers long-lasting performance." The assembled receiver is obviously out of spec and I bet the parts used in it like the bolt carrier are substandard also.

As some of you know I`ve been playing the AK game for a long time (sadly I`d not been aware of SIs existence before Gabe stopped offering classes) and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt the troubles are thus:

1) Cast front trunnion

2) Cast bolt

The barrels Century uses are actually quite nice for AKs, unfortunately we see so few imports that they`re allowed to push their RAS47 and C39 trash at us every chance they get. The cast steel bolt and trunnion are no laughing matter - headspace WILL expand on them, sometimes alarmingly quickly. In fact, Rob`s latest upload details an AKM built in Radom, Poland by a company called Pioneer, their reputation is well known. That one fell dangerously out of spec at below 500 rounds. I italicized "in" to note that the rifles were/are not made by the legendary Fabryka Broni (FB) of Radom, but instead another shop that happens to be in the same town, most likely trying to turn a buck from FBs name.

Those rifles built in foreign armories (WBP Polska, FEG, Izhevsk, Zastava, Kazanlak (Arsenal of Bulgaria), Cugir, et al) all use FORGED steel trunnions and bolts. The so called "Domestic" or "Sporter" rifles of course use cast, and when smashing the two together like an AK bolt does with a trunnion, it becomes similar to slapping fistfuls of silly putty together - they both lose shape. Some shape change is normal on a proper Armory rifle (Arsenal is a good example) on the bolt carrier tail from repeatedly running into the hammer, but the cast rifles are usually built with either Tapco`s G2 triggers or Century`s RAK-1s, which in more recent batches are built of much harder steel than they used to be, and thusly cause premature wear.

So far, the list of "Dangerous! Grenade! Achtung! Warning! Alerte!" rifles stands as:

1) RAS47

2) C39 V1 and V2 (Ironic that early ballistic missiles carried the same names)

3) InterOrdnance (With the exception of the Wz.97 "Beryl" rifles imported for a short while)

4) Pioneer arms

5) Blackheart

6) Blackthorne

7) Hesse

8) Lancaster

I can list more but past those mentioned they get rather obscure.
    Last edited by Fjordforder; 02-04-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb

How about newly made AK type rifles that work and maintain their headspace?

The front trunion and bolt being cast are cited as major problems. When casting it depends on the method and metallurgy. Ruger casts many parts for their firearms and those are considered to be adequate, but forged is still the gold standard.