Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sig Sauer P320 Compact/Subcompact and P365 - Bullet expansion

So I'm looking to add something to my collection, and I've always wanted a Sig. I had my eye on the Sig P320 Compact for EDC, though I considered the Subcompact as well. What I really wanted was something smaller than my Glock 19m which is why I considered the subcompact (the compact is about the same size as the G19). The problem I have with subcompacts is that I have a hard time getting used to my pinky being unsupported, and getting the extended magazine sort of defeats the purpose of having the subcompact. So I'm sorta torn on the Compact/Subcompact size.

Are there any Sig carriers here who can advise on the compact vs. subcompact?

I've also had my eye on the new P365 as well, but I've noticed it's hard to find in stock, so I may put that off for now.

But there's one other issue I'm far more concerned with, and that is bullet expansion. I've read that with many subcompact-sized barrels, bullet expansion for HP ammo can be a problem, but I haven't found a definitive answer on that. Can anyone here brush me up on that? Is this really as much an issue as some online sources would have you believe? I'm speaking specifically about 9mm since that's what I'll be carrying. Thoughts?
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu

So the issue with some cartridges is the propellant used wont burn completely in a short bbl pistol. When this is the case, the projectile will not be launched at the same velocity as it would if it were shot in a full size firearm (whose BBL would be longer allowing more time for the powder to burn-which produces more pressure and higher bullet velocity). As far as bullet expansion, several companies make premium ammo designed for short bbl firearms. Speer has the short bbl gold dot line and another choice would be Hornady's critical defense line. In my line of work I have seen lots of top shelf JHP ammo fired into water, gel blocks, and even people. The ammo designed to work in shorter bbls will expand better, but most of the premium duty/self defense ammo (even ammo not designed for subcompact pistols) will still get the job done.

Why go with another striker-fired gun? You already have one. I'd pick up a P-series SIG--my favorite is the old stamped-sllde 228, followed closely by the 229. The size is roughly the same as a G19, but as stated elsewhere you can do things with and to a SIG hammer gun that you can't do with a striker gun.
    Avoid the discontinued P224: no aftermarket support, few parts available.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

183. And a wakeup.

For covert...hidden next to your junk...carry, either a DA/SA or DAO is a far better choice than a striker fired weapon...something few think of. The 365 missed the boat, as did the 42/43. Small for covert, NPE carry, butvthe wrong mechanism for it...but who listens right?

The last great semi auto for this type of carry was the SIG 290.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I think the 320 Subcompact is for people who want a G19ish gun, but find the Glock grip too big.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1976 View Post
    So I'm looking to add something to my collection, and I've always wanted a Sig. Thoughts?
    If you've always wanted a Sig, then by a real metal frame Sig

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Avoid the discontinued P224: no aftermarket support, few parts available.
    Honestly, most of the replacement parts are interchangeable between the 226,229 and 224, but the 224 was a general flop, hence the 229 Carry. Also the 320 is a P series.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

I bought a P320 Carry (the equivalent of the G19X) and had SI mill it for an RMR. I found that I didn't care for the full size grip for concealed carry. That's OK, it's a Sig P320 ... just get a different size grip module for it. I picked up two ... a subcompact and a compact. The Carry is a compact size slide on a full size grip (with the front end of the grip module cut down to match the length of the slide) so the slide was a perfect fit on the compact of course. On the subcompact grip there is a slight (but not objectionable) overhang of the slide from the grip.

I wanted to like the subcompact version, but found the grip module to be too small in length to get good purchase on ... only two fingers with the pinky free floating below the grip. I take a large size glove so my hands aren't petite ... but I can't quite palm a basketball either. I found the compact (about the same overall size as a G19) to be Goldilocks for me.

Haven't had my hands on a P365 yet, but it's on my list to check out when I get a chance.
    RDS Pistol School - June 24-26, 2016, SGF-1 - April 29-30, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    Honestly, most of the replacement parts are interchangeable between the 226,229 and 224, but the 224 was a general flop, hence the 229 Carry. Also the 320 is a P series.
    Hey, you're right. Probably stands for something goofy like Pistole. I.know the 226 hammer won't fit, and I think the extractors are different, too.
    I can't seem to score a 9mm slide or barrel.
    This pistol was about a decade late. And it needs an extended mag floorplate to be useable. Keeping mine JIC and because I'll take a beating on sale or trade.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

183. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Hey, you're right. Probably stands for something goofy like Pistole. I.know the 226 hammer won't fit, and I think the extractors are different, too.
    I can't seem to score a 9mm slide or barrel.
    This pistol was about a decade late. And it needs an extended mag floorplate to be useable. Keeping mine JIC and because I'll take a beating on sale or trade.
    I got rid of mine when i realized with the extended mag its a (now) 229C and just run my 229 now

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    SEMPER FI