Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The soul of the shotgun is ferocity and brutality. It says in very matter of fact and terse ways -

"I am not here merely kill you...I am here to utterly destroy the body that your soul currently inhabits".

"Your spirit will leave it in utter terror at the sudden pain and rending of flesh that I will visit upon you".
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

People talk about its limitations always and not it undeniable benefits. To me there is nothing else like a shot gun where it’s benifits for us in our envelope of fighting is unmatched by anything even an smg. We are not going to war with infintry units and a black hawk helicopter watching our 6. The rifle is for long engagements where your field of Fire is extended. Sure, if something like that happeneds we are prepared for that too. But unlikely, and if it dose happen you will have time to regear and deploy something else.

The uninitiated need to realize that every weapon has its place and the shotgun certainly resides in many of those places.

The younger (not necessarily physical age related) tacti-cool people see AR's platforms as the end-all-be-all. That's mostly because it looks cool and the fact that most of them have never been-there-done-that to where a weapon has actually saved or taken a life.

They need to be shown the truth. If they turn from it, then it's on them. Their loss - not mine!

Tagging. Such a pleasure to read.

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb

I never felt under gunned when I was the backup/ballistic breacher with an 870. Took down doors, guard dogs, and bad guys with equal decisiveness (though I on accounted for two of the three with an 870).
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

I really enjoyed the OP's synopsis on the 870. I retired after 30 years at one agency (corrections,patrol,investigation and finally administration) and always had a 12 gauge as a patrol/tactical option. The new leadership there has apaartently discarded them for use in the patrol units. I like the concept of having as many tools as possible. Luckily in my "retirement job" department they still issue and requalify us on the shotgun. Great post, sorry to resurrect the thread but it needs to be brought to the attention of new generation crime fighters.
    ruralpatrol

Hope it's not just an age thing, but I'm on a road trip now, and what I have along are my issue AR, issue M&P, a 40C and my old-- bought used in the 1970s-- 870.
    Magpul furniture, sling, side saddle, flexitab.
    If I lived near AZ, I'd drop it off for a facelift, but for now, beauty is as beauty does.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 16. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Hope it's not just an age thing, but I'm on a road trip now, and what I have along are my issue AR, issue M&P, a 40C and my old-- bought used in the 1970s-- 870.
    Magpul furniture, sling, side saddle, flexitab.
    If I lived near AZ, I'd drop it off for a facelift, but for now, beauty is as beauty does.
    always good to have options!
    ruralpatrol

Johnathan Nobody great post.I myself have carried the Remington 870,great gun.
    Gabe that was interesting about the North Hollywood shootout.Would love to hear more.

When I was a rookie cop back in the early 90's we had a shooting in my city where the bad guy was hit in right hip with a 12 ga. slug from about 40 yards. (shot clearly went low but he was moving and it was night) I wasnt at the scene but was assigned to go to the hospital and advise updates on the bad guys status. I remember seeing an Xray of his pelvis, looked like a grenade went off in there. Fragments from the slug and bone pieces all up into his abdomen...Doctor stated guy would be shitting into a plastic bag for the rest of his life....
    devastating.