Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South-Central Idaho
    Posts
    3,071
    I occasionally toy with the idea of getting a 338 Lapua but I have a long way to go as a shooter before I deserve such a thing.
    in the mean time, if I want to make a Big hole or bust something up, I use a 45-70 Lever and get up close. :0)

    I know several guys that have Savage Lapuas and quite like them. One of those guys can actually shoot well far enough to justify the thing. :0)

    If I were getting one, I’d probably get a single shot as I dont suppose quick follow-up shots are a high priority or a realistic expectation at Uber long distances.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Prescott
    Posts
    685
    Have you ever seen a factory mount a .338 Lapua barreled receiver crooked in a chassis? I have, but only 3 times. Each one was a Savage. One owned by the father of a gunsmith I went to school with, one in a local shop, who promptly sent it back when i pointed it out, and a 3rd purchased by a friend who immediately sent it back. When I say crooked, I mean +/- 1/4" or greater from center line. Yes it's your money, yes they'll fix it, but thats a lot of bang to be rolling the dice on

    Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,786
    Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    Have you ever seen a factory mount a .338 Lapua barreled receiver crooked in a chassis? I have, but only 3 times. Each one was a Savage. One owned by the father of a gunsmith I went to school with, one in a local shop, who promptly sent it back when i pointed it out, and a 3rd purchased by a friend who immediately sent it back. When I say crooked, I mean +/- 1/4" or greater from center line. Yes it's your money, yes they'll fix it, but thats a lot of bang to be rolling the dice on
    I built mine with a 700 ultra action(already had apx 700 new), Hart barreled, squared action, and cut in my stock for 1200.00. Mine is a single shot with a 28” barrel, but it was worth every penny in how it shoots. I have no idea what they are setting up guns for now, but I would bet it isn’t much more then I payed. If I had a big enough area to shoot it 2500 yards, I promise you that gun will group consistent hits. Maybe further, I kinda copied a guy that shot those distances on a weekly basis. I will tell you right now, even just setting the bullet depth on the match bullets he’s buying it will tighten his groups at least half of what he’s going to get.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Prescott
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    I built mine with a 700 ultra action(already had apx 700 new), Hart barreled, squared action, and cut in my stock for 1200.00. Mine is a single shot with a 28” barrel, but it was worth every penny in how it shoots. I have no idea what they are setting up guns for now, but I would bet it isn’t much more then I payed. If I had a big enough area to shoot it 2500 yards, I promise you that gun will group consistent hits. Maybe further, I kinda copied a guy that shot those distances on a weekly basis. I will tell you right now, even just setting the bullet depth on the match bullets he’s buying it will tighten his groups at least half of what he’s going to get.
    I'm not referring to a custom build. The OP specifically questioned a purchase of the Savage .338, I answered with my experience specifically dealing with the "from the factory" rifle in question

    Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,786
    Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    I'm not referring to a custom build. The OP specifically questioned a purchase of the Savage .338, I answered with my experience specifically dealing with the "from the factory" rifle in question
    I know bro, that’s the reason I built mine.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hartzell View Post
    What’s your plan if you but the gun and it won’t group with that particular ammo?
    Sell the rifle and ammo for a profit :)

    Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    Have you ever seen a factory mount a .338 Lapua barreled receiver crooked in a chassis? I have, but only 3 times. Each one was a Savage. One owned by the father of a gunsmith I went to school with, one in a local shop, who promptly sent it back when i pointed it out, and a 3rd purchased by a friend who immediately sent it back. When I say crooked, I mean +/- 1/4" or greater from center line. Yes it's your money, yes they'll fix it, but thats a lot of bang to be rolling the dice on
    I have not, sorry. I'll be sure to check for that when I go in to look at models. Thanks!
    James 1:5 - "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South-Central Idaho
    Posts
    3,071
    So did you ever shoot this stuff? How did it group?
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •