Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsavik View Post
    16" Gunsite Scout Rifle in 308. Forward mounted Leupold 2.5x scope, but that is probably going to change after my elk incident this weekend.

    Modded slightly so I can patrol carry. Slicked up the bolt. It runs FAST.

    Carry subsonics in a spare mag or the butt cuff.

    Runs a Dead Air suppressorAttachment 60484
    That'll do to ride the river with. No need for a forward mount scope if you have a detachable mag and don't need to clip or single load. But it does look wicked.
    Warrior for the working day.

    Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

    "...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

    "What cannot be remedied must be endured."

    Vale et omnia quae.

    P:20

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    I'm going old school with this. I have a Enfield No. 4 Mk. 2 .303 British rifle for which I paid all of $100. It has a detachable 10 box magazine and loads easily from 5 round stripper clips. It has a battle sight for 200 yards (think a pre-ghost ring, ghost ring) and a more accurate adjustable sight for ranges from 200 yds to somewhere around 1200 yds.

    Why it and not something more modern with a scope? The Lee Enfield action has proved itself 'battle worthy', reliable even under the worst field conditions, and it is considered the fastest action to cycle. The rifle is fully stocked so basically impervious to rough treatment. Then too, the .303 British round proved itself in two world wars, Korea, Malay, numerous African hotspots, and even the 'Stan' against the Russians with the Mujahedeen. It will also take down any large game in North America.

    Yeah, it has history, it's functional, durable, and reliable. What's not to like?

    Never had any luck tuning Enfield mags to feed properly. Love the action and the handling but the three I've owned did not run for me. I still have two. I'll try again.
    Warrior for the working day.

    Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

    "...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

    "What cannot be remedied must be endured."

    Vale et omnia quae.

    P:20

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In a positive state of mind
    Posts
    3,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Never had any luck tuning Enfield mags to feed properly. Love the action and the handling but the three I've owned did not run for me. I still have two. I'll try again.
    .303 British is a a rimmed cartridge as you know. Feeding problems are usually caused by the lower cartridge being in front of the one above it. Making sure the rounds are stacked right in the stripper is the easy fix.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4,009
    Some .303 rounds lack the proper bevel around the outer base of the cartridge, and that can contribute to rimlock. Another factor is clapped out magazines that don't release the round in time or don't control it. There are actually four feed lips that need to operate, and cooperate, in holding the round through its travel and then releasing it.

    And two aftermarket mags have actually been worse.

    I just don't have the knack yet. A project for those cold winter evenings.
    Warrior for the working day.

    Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

    "...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

    "What cannot be remedied must be endured."

    Vale et omnia quae.

    P:20

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    I'm going old school with this. I have a Enfield No. 4 Mk. 2 .303 British rifle for which I paid all of $100. It has a detachable 10 box magazine and loads easily from 5 round stripper clips. It has a battle sight for 200 yards (think a pre-ghost ring, ghost ring) and a more accurate adjustable sight for ranges from 200 yds to somewhere around 1200 yds.

    Why it and not something more modern with a scope? The Lee Enfield action has proved itself 'battle worthy', reliable even under the worst field conditions, and it is considered the fastest action to cycle. The rifle is fully stocked so basically impervious to rough treatment. Then too, the .303 British round proved itself in two world wars, Korea, Malay, numerous African hotspots, and even the 'Stan' against the Russians with the Mujahedeen. It will also take down any large game in North America.

    Yeah, it has history, it's functional, durable, and reliable. What's not to like?

    I have a slightly sporterized Jungle Carbine for the same reasons. And, if needed, it's a good tool for procuring other tools as needed....

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  6. #36
    I have a surfeit of old milsurp boltguns, because i did not heed the wise, helpful, and freely given counsel of the cadre and seniors at warriortalk, that to fool with such things is to dive down a bottomless rathole.

    On the other hand, better men than I will ever be have done better work than I will ever do with such rifles. This is the one I have the most trigger time on (although still not a lot). I believe it is a Finnish M39. I haven't done anything to it except put a "Garand" sling on it.

    102_5980.jpg

    Better men than I will ever be....

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    I have a surfeit of old milsurp boltguns, because i did not heed the wise, helpful, and freely given counsel of the cadre and seniors at warriortalk, that to fool with such things is to dive down a bottomless rathole.

    On the other hand, better men than I will ever be have done better work than I will ever do with such rifles. This is the one I have the most trigger time on (although still not a lot). I believe it is a Finnish M39. I haven't done anything to it except put a "Garand" sling on it.

    102_5980.jpg

    Better men than I will ever be....
    I have one of those Finns. Its a damn accurate rifle even with cheap ammo. Im glad I got one before the supply dried up and prices increased.

    If you are a watcher of the tv show life below zero the Eskimo wife of the one family (hailstones) uses one pretty exclusively to drop large animals all the time in some serious country.

    Ive got a FTR'd no4 enfield as well but it is no where near as accurate....I suspect there is some hang time issues with it as it was encased in cosmo when I bought it and Ive never have been able to disassemble the bolt for a proper cleaning.

    I had a remmy police HB 700 that I sold off. That thing was a beast and I lost interest in it and it became disposable as I wasn't set up for reloading. Money went toward a new hunting shotgun.

    7M3

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,773
    I also have a surfeit of bolt Guns except they are not milsurp.

    Another I really like a lot and have done a ton of deer with is a R.E.M. 700

    24” Schneider barrel in a light Med contour.
    All Gunsmithing done by Dan Dowling who is a benchrest builder turned huntinfbrifle builder.
    Macmillan smear camo stock and all the metal is finished in a black Teflon coating.
    B&L 2.5-10 scope. (I generally don’t like above 10x on a hunting scope.
    Luepold mounts and rings all lapped in.

    Chambered only 257 Roberts Ackley Improved.

    It will shoot it’s fire forming loads into 1.5” groups and hunting loads of 120 gr TSX hold boringly consistent between .5-.75 all day long.

    For years that was my all around deer,antelope, everything when I lived in Kansas and hunted the Midwest. I chose that cartridge based on Dan’s advice that it would shoot far more accurately than your average 25/06 with almost equal ballistics. Since I was a big handloader and loved wildcats even back then I agreed.

    It has been a superb performer for almost 30 years for me.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In a positive state of mind
    Posts
    3,905
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 Mary 3 View Post
    ... Ive got a FTR'd no4 enfield as well but it is no where near as accurate....I suspect there is some hang time issues with it as it was encased in cosmo when I bought it and Ive never have been able to disassemble the bolt for a proper cleaning.
    ...
    7M3
    The easiest way to clean the inside of the bolt is to unscrew the bolt head, drop everything in a bucket of solvent (Hoppe's No 9 is good). Let it soak for about 15 minutes, and then take an air hose to blow it out. After that wipe out the interior with some dry patches (on a .22 rimfire cleaning rod) and screw the bolt head back on. Problem solved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •