Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 230 ranger JHP non +P in G41

Hello all,

Just curious if anybody has had any issues with Ranger 230 grain JHP ammo in a G41. My G41 will eat EVERYTHING except this round. Unfortunately it has to eat that round, I have no choice in the matter. I can not began to list all the testing I have done including the gen 3 recoil spring guide rod adapter, different shooters, numerous mags, ect. The issue is the slide is not going back far enough to pick up a new round completely, it noses down and hangs up. It is cleared with a tap or a rack. It is also failing to lock back on the last round. Both are symptoms of too strong of spring or too weak of ammo. None of the 21's are having issues, just my 41. Like I said it eats everything else. BTW it works a little better with the Ranger 230 +P but it still happens.

Thanks

That is strange because with a +P 230 gr, you could run the heaviest recoil spring available which is 24# if I’m not mistaken, and the gun should run like a top. Some guns just prefer certain kinds of ammo. I have a 41 that I shot in competition and the thing choked on a regular basis. I spent lots of time and money trying to get it right and no luck. It’s on the chopping block. I know lots of people like their gen 4s but this is the only gen 4 I own so it’s jaded me lol. I’ll stick with gen 3s. If the 21s aren’t having an issue why not just pack a 21?

I'm confused. If it HAS to function with that round, I'm guessing it's mandated by your agency. If that's the case, then why don't you have your agencies armorer take care of it?
    "Hey I've got an idea! We should make welfare as easy to get as VA benefits."
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

He is only a Smith M&P .40 guy(Issued weapon). I am not a .40 fan so I carry a .45. I bought the G41 MOS and am running a Trijicon on it. A Glock armorer friend has recommended a Brass Stacker -2lbs recoil spring for it. We will see when it arrives. Most of all I was just curious if anybody else had seen a problem with that ammunition, because I love the weapon and it works with everything else.

If I were in your shoes, I seriously consider trading that pistol in for a different one. A duty weapon has to just work, not just barely work.
    "Hey I've got an idea! We should make welfare as easy to get as VA benefits."
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Have you tried it without the RMR aboard?
    I wonder now about slide weight, screw protrusion, mag spring and extractor issues.
    Have you stripped the slide out to clean the upper components?
    Last edited by Papa; 01-13-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 11, 21. And a wakeup.

I'm likewise wondering about slide weight. If the slide is heavy, you could have some steel milled out of it. (Just avoid cutting any "windows" in it or we will all seriously make fun of you.) You would have to be really dedicated to the idea of the 41 in order to justify that step. If you are running an RMR, the added sight radius really isn't giving you anything. I'd probably just drop back to the 21.

I recall Gabe contemplating a fix to the MOS--milling it out further in order to seat the RMR deep enough to work with normal suppressor sights--but I don't know if that idea was ever entirely worked out. That would achieve two goals: milling out some steel for weight reduction, and also getting the RMR lower.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Have you tried it without the RMR aboard?
    I wonder now about slide weight, screw protrusion, mag spring and extractor issues.
    Have you stripped the slide out to clean the upper components?
    martinfab - Did you by any chance use the longer screw on the extractor side, and bottom it out on the extractor spring plunger? That can cause feed issues, when the extractor is bound up and won't let a round slide up under it easily.

Other than that, nose diving issues when feeding is usually a magazine problem. Try different mags of course.

It could be a spring/underpowered ammo issue with that heavy slide, but a 41 should run on pretty much any standard P 230gr ammo with the stock spring. I wouldn't start modifying the weight of the slide to correct something that shouldn't be a problem.

Edit - posting late at night, so I missed that your 41 is an MOS, not a dedicated milled slide. Maybe the screw thing isn't an issue, but still you might double check that the extractor moves freely and that nothing is bound up in the plunger/spring hole. For that matter, you could try it without an extractor at all to see if it at least feeds right by hand.
    Last edited by Yondering; 01-14-2018 at 02:00 AM.

I agree with Yondering it sounds more like a magazine problem...
    ...If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"...
    If - Rudyard Kipling

ECRG, June 2006
    Warrior Skills Camp, July 2009

I tried 8 different mags including two new ones. I stripped the slide, no issues. This morning couple of us shot my new 30s and it had the same issue 3 times in 46 rounds with the Ranger and two shooters. No issues with other kinds of ammunition. My 21 and all the other 21's run the Ranger fine. I dropped the 21 in my holster for now. That being said, I am going to find out the issue with the 41/Ranger, fix it, carry it, and get the information out for others. I am assuming the fix will be the same for the 30s. I can't have the 21 milled out and I prefer to have the RMR. Thanks for all the replies.

Another piece of information: This only happens during slow fire, like 25 yard line stuff. All rapid firing and combat, (two body/two head drills) there are no issues. I can load a mag and drain it as fast as I can and there is no issue with the Ranger in either weapon.