View Poll Results: Would you rather

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shoot a street proven round

36 94.74%
  • Shoot a ballistics tested/well performed round

2 5.26%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Police proven kill round ---158 gr round nose lead out of a .38 special. It probably has sent more dirtbags to perdition than any other bullet.

Just sayin'
    Choirboy

The answer is the street proven round.

The reasoning is thus: the lab and testing data is used to devise a logical theory, which may or may not be sound. Millions of rounds are shot by the marketplace. The results are tabulated, whether anecdotally or analytically. The rounds that accomplish the desired task are anointed as the chosen ones.

The problems involved in research are related to the variables. Firearms aren't static, nor are tactics and so on. The marketplace is constantly changing (and improving) in capitalism. This is why we don't rent rotary phones on a monthly basis anymore.

Hopefully, there will always be another gun, bullet, and caliber. This is progress. One has to separate this from marketing.

Shoot them in the face.
    Shoot them in the face again.
    Question now irrelevant.
    "Hey I've got an idea! We should make welfare as easy to get as VA benefits."
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

How much testing does a round need to go through before it's considered acceptable? The first department to switch over to say, 357 Sig had to think it was a good idea, even though they knew they were first, and there wasn't any data from real gunfights. (Unless the gun selection guys got bribed, of course. Stranger stuff has happened.)
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

When the grey beards in the Texas Department of Public Safety adopted the .357 Sig, I suspect that they felt that they already had enough "street testing" since the .357 Sig more or less approximates performance of the S&W 28 Highway Patrolman revolvers they had issued for decades.
    "Hey I've got an idea! We should make welfare as easy to get as VA benefits."
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Quote Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
    Police proven kill round ---158 gr round nose lead out of a .38 special. It probably has sent more dirtbags to perdition than any other bullet.

Just sayin'
    Choirboy
    Now THAT is old school, brother. Makes me want to dig out my Official Police.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 11, 21. And a wakeup.

Just so I understand are you guys saying, youd stick with a round JUST because it was proven on the street, instead of a round that outshines it when both are compared side by side in ballistics gelatin? A new round that out performs the older round in a equal test???

Admittedly street performance brings credibility but that's abacus thinking in a quantum physics world.... We move forward by learning not ignoring knowledge.

158 SWC? Really? .58 minballs worked even better and don't get me started on 44-40.

Seriously...Gel tests are an indication of what may happen but NOT a specific and sole reason to go with such a round. An example are those hyper velocity lightweight deals. 9mm at 2300 fps that vegematic gelatin...but don't do as well in bodies. Or Glaser ammo as another example.

So no...gel testing is an interesting performance meter of what the round will do in....gelatin. For me to use it said round must have a street record. I will let others be beta testers with this sort of thing.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Remember the La Mas RCBD Blended Metals deal?
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

How about both?

I want a round that statistically performs well on the street.

Individual ancedotes shouldn't be used to make any sort of deliberate, informed decision.

So a round whose street effectiveness has been studied and recorded.