Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Squat heavy. And deadlift. Focusing on what type of protein powder to consume is getting far too mired down in the details. Buy and read Starting Strength from Rippetoe, and learn how to squat and deadlift without injuring yourself.
    Virtute et Armis

Starting Strength. Starting Strength. Starting Strength. That is, if you want your squat to increase 60 lbs in the first month and your bench press and shoulder press 30 lbs.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Formerly "ericmt"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post
    EPOs have been popular amongst those who enhanced in the units I have been in. I'm not sure extra high levels of testosterone will be super helpful in a military context. Work capacity (or the lack thereof) is usually what gets people broken down, not max level strength.
    They don't just make you strong, you'll get much stronger if you put in the work, but your recovery time is a fraction that of normal. The attitude, and the aggressiveness are very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Forklift View Post
    They don't just make you strong, you'll get much stronger if you put in the work, but your recovery time is a fraction that of normal. The attitude, and the aggressiveness are very helpful.
    Probably thier biggest benefit, the mental aspect.

starting_strength.jpg

Whelp, here we go!

Thanks for all the help, guys - it is much appreciated.
    James 1:5 - "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post
    Probably thier biggest benefit, the mental aspect.
    Agreed

Let me tell you a story- 1995-96 at a major SEC college, a buddy and I (both former HS football players) got serious about lifting. We went hard and probably bordered on overtraining. There was a huge bouncer from a local bar at our same gym. We went from being cordial to befriending the guy at a party. He asks "what are you on?" I was like just beer and weed! He said "what are you taking?" I said "oh, steroids? I'm not". He replied "you are wasting your time"...I still haven't been down the PED road but at 43 and reflecting honestly, I maximized my genetics pretty well and was never "big". He was right for what my goals were. If you want to look like a shaved gorilla and your dad and uncles don't look that way way- well to quote the bouncer "you are wasting your time". That's not to say you can't go natty (I always have) and just work hard, but to look freaky big with average or below average genetics is a pipe dream. The strongest 170 lb UFC fighter is still 190 lbs before cutting and would look small next to an NFL defensive back or wide receiver. If your goal is to LOOK intimidating then be honest with what your capabilities are. Looking back, I would have taken the sauce for what I was looking to do.
    Last edited by twinboysdad; 01-13-2018 at 08:25 PM.

John McCallum's Get Big Drink
    What were the ingredients?
    • First take a days worth of protein power and add it into a blender. Say roughly 6-8 scoops of protein (Whey/Casein/etc.).
    • Next take two quarts of whole milk and dump them in the blender.
    • Following this add in 2 cups of dry skim milk.
    • Now mix in 2 Raw eggs.

Is that it?
    Hardly…

• After mixing in the protein, milk and eggs, put 4 tablespoons peanut butter into the blender
    • Next add a half a brick (.875 quarts or 462 grams) of chocolate ice cream followed by
    • 1 small banana
    • 4 tablespoons malted milk powder (17g protein)
    • 6 tablespoons of corn syrup