Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SIRT ?

Quote Originally Posted by dayve View Post
    I've been using the SIRT for a couple of years now, combined with the LASR shot-recording system, and seen massive improvement. My next hurdle, and I would love it if anyone can weigh in on this - has anyone figured out how to mount an RMR, or a replica, to a SIRT? I've thought about the SI L-Mount, but the back of the SIRT "slide" is angled, rather than flat, so I don't think it would work. Being able to use the LASR system WITH the RMR, for multiple shots, would be my holy grail of practice.
    There are a few dovetail mounts for optics that work. Outer Impact is one brand. They cost $35-$50. They do mount higher than the slide by a few mm but it doesn’t bother me in my FN Five Seven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've owned a SIRT for maybe 3 years. It is for me an excellent training tool. Cheap practice with real feedback of where you are hitting. I replaced the sights with an old set of OEM Glock sights. Sight picture is much better.

I've been using the SIRT for a couple of years now, combined with the LASR shot-recording system, and seen massive improvement. My next hurdle, and I would love it if anyone can weigh in on this - has anyone figured out how to mount an RMR, or a replica, to a SIRT? I've thought about the SI L-Mount, but the back of the SIRT "slide" is angled, rather than flat, so I don't think it would work. Being able to use the LASR system WITH the RMR, for multiple shots, would be my holy grail of practice.
    I've had a SIRT set up with an RMR for a couple of years. I also use LASR. Don't recall for sure but after jerry rigging it for awhile I finally found some kind of L-mount that works quite well. I am out of town now but if you are interested in pics or more info PM me and I'll send you some pics when I get home next week.

Thank you, Doctom - PM sent!

Thank you, Doctom - PM sent!
    Sent you a PM.

My setup is NOT pretty and NOT combat durable! But so what. It cost me about fifty bucks. The SIRT with the RMR, along with my LASR program, has been indispensable to me in getting my RMR draw time down. The combination helps my skills much more than dry training alone because it keeps me honest with accuracy on first shot. And with the SIRT I can practice whenever I want, wherever I want, even when my family is home in the next room. I am quite dependent on the red dot as, at age 60, I can no longer see the front sight in focus without my readers. I can see a crisp red dot no matter what. I have taken Gabe's red dot course and I highly recommend it if you have not. Below is a link to the cheap mount I bought. And a pic. Like I said, it is NOT pretty. I reinforced the mount with epoxy! A total jerry rig that is ugly as hell. But it works!! Please if you come up with a better (no epoxy, reversible, etc.) please lemme know. You could let Gabe patent and market it and he could cash in hopefully.

https://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-RM44.../dp/B004HCCMLW

Image-1.jpg

Thank you, Doc, I appreciate your follow-up. I'm all about Gabe getting his share, I just don't know if he wants to get into this, if there's enough market in it for him. I've been thinking about picking up an SI L-mount, and having a local machinist cut off the rear portion, so that the only piece remaining would be the one on top, in the dovetail. Then I could use my spare SI sights in the mount. I think I'd probably have to mount a thin sheet of metal inside the plastic slide of the SIRT, that the piece of L-mount could be secured to, to reinforce the assembly, because I think the light plastic of the slide wouldn't be rigid enough. This is off the top of my head - Gabe gets his piece, I get good kit and a usable mount. It may take me a bit to get this together, I'll update here if I do.

Thank you, Doc, I appreciate your follow-up. I'm all about Gabe getting his share, I just don't know if he wants to get into this, if there's enough market in it for him. I've been thinking about picking up an SI L-mount, and having a local machinist cut off the rear portion, so that the only piece remaining would be the one on top, in the dovetail. Then I could use my spare SI sights in the mount. I think I'd probably have to mount a thin sheet of metal inside the plastic slide of the SIRT, that the piece of L-mount could be secured to, to reinforce the assembly, because I think the light plastic of the slide wouldn't be rigid enough. This is off the top of my head - Gabe gets his piece, I get good kit and a usable mount. It may take me a bit to get this together, I'll update here if I do.
    Your idea sounds great. If you have a vise and a dremmel you could modify Gabe's mount yourself. Keep the thread updated on your progress!

I use the dry fire mag. They're about $100 and can be used in any gun they're intended to fit, like 9mm double stack glocks. There is a spring on it that allows for trigger presses with automatic reset. It is tunable by changing out the spring weights. While not perfect, I think they're great. They'd be optimal with a laser combo in the chamber. Normal dry fire only allows one pull, this lets you draw and dry fire a series with the actual gun you carry. For me this was quite useful with red dot and iron sights. It's also been good for students working trigger reset without interrupting their grips or having a partner monkey with the slide for them. It's been good for multiple shots from the holster under time requirements.
    "Nobody cares about your comfort."

Life is not a rehearsal, make it count.

If I reading right one model has a metal slide that adds about 4 oz weight and $120 to the price??? Worth the upgrade?

I bought the one Gabe sells here, if there was tangible benefit, he would offer the other one.