Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The AK is like a Mauser, a Mosin, or an old lever action; very cool, very tough and dripping with historical gravitas but just not as good as modern offerings.

I came to WT because if the work Gabe was doing with the AK. I was dragged reluctantly into the world of the AR when Gabe finally gave up on trying to modernize the old workhorses and moved to the AR. I havenít been sorry though I did keep a couple of AKs for nostalgia.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 12-31-2017 at 07:17 AM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

I had a polytech? Chinese underfolder, cool weapon, quite accurate up to 100-125 yds for me, it was a fun to shoot, easy vehicle transport/travel gun, but it was replaced by a much lighter and more functional PWS AR pistol with aimpoint about 5-6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Soldiers are just like anyone else when it comes to choosing different weapons. It was not uncommon during WWII for GIs to use a captured german weapon and the germans reissued every captured M1 carbine that they could.

But it is unheard of for any US SOF member to deliberately select and deploy with an AK pattern rifle. With the option of selecting almost anything on the market, virtually no SOF unit or police department outside the Former Soviet Union (FSU) has selected an AK. Sit in any Foreign Weapons Instructor or Armorers class in the US military and the resounding murmurs when the Soviet weapons are brought out all revolve around how much the suck (the only exception is the PKM but even that gets bashed for certain features). But you do see the top tiers of FSU SOF either a) trying to bring an AK into the 21st century by adapting AR accessories or B) using captured M4s. Look at the AK12. The Russians are chasing the capabilities of the M4 in terms of optics, lasers, modularity, and ergonomics.

Not sure if some soldiers thoughts are enough to make a decision of best rifle.

Maybe not, but again...a deliberate choice by members of a SOF unit is indicative of something. Spc Snuffy grabbing an AK because it looks cool until he's told not to is one thing.
    Comrade Adreyovich deliberately getting a Bushmaster M4 captured almost 10 years ago in Georgia and deploying to Syria with it is another.

While not as easy to make as some think, once a gunmaker is properly setup the unit cost is low. I believe it is lower than the AR to turn out a military grade rifle. The US now has the AR manufacture down pat for military rifles. I thing the USA pays more per unit rifle.
    Combloc rifles are less expensive because they use combloc labor. When you pay next to nothing and don't have healthcare, unions, and lawsuits, you can charge less per rifle.
    Responses above.

I've got the same SGL21\63 and SLR 106 that I had when I started training with SI I keep red dots and the standard iron sights on them make sure that they are zeroed and run them every once and awhile I noticed the last time I ran m 106 the zero on the dot seemed to waiver when it got hot. I think it is good to have a couple and be proficient with them but if I have to grab a rifle it's going to be one of my ARs by the time I add a magnified optic to an AK it weighs as much as a 308 might as well run a 308 at that point.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
    The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention that has been praised and denounced... Served Hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history.

KRG 9/11/11, PSGS 3/23/12, CPM 8/11/12, ACPM 8/18/12, M4 Sniper Week 2/20/13, TMCO 4/27/13, ATM 10/26/13, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 6/19/15, CRG-1 9/26/15, TASI 1/23/16, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 9/30/16

The last few years, I've wanted to pick up an AK-47 again. I don't expect it to be my go-to-war gun, but I would enjoy having one around to play with, use for familiarity training, and to raise in the air while I watch Red Dawn. But every decent example I've come across in recent years was way more money than it was worth. While I've seen smoking hot deals on AR15s, I have seen none on AK-pattern rifles. I see cheap AKs at middling prices, and good AKs at exorbitant prices. But I can build a match quality AR that is customized to my preferences and do it so inexpensively that I am rapidly accumulating more rifles than I can justify to my wife.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    The last few years, I've wanted to pick up an AK-47 again. I don't expect it to be my go-to-war gun, but I would enjoy having one around to play with, use for familiarity training, and to raise in the air while I watch Red Dawn. But every decent example I've come across in recent years was way more money than it was worth. While I've seen smoking hot deals on AR15s, I have seen none on AK-pattern rifles. I see cheap AKs at middling prices, and good AKs at exorbitant prices. But I can build a match quality AR that is customized to my preferences and do it so inexpensively that I am rapidly accumulating more rifles than I can justify to my wife.
    Let me know if you want something in 223.:)

I dusted off a couple of mine today.
    The AK brought me to SI long years ago and now they sit as the M4 has taken the place as the American fighting rifle.
    I continue to pull the ak out and run some dry and live fire drills and confirm zero on them however, the M4 is the primary focus as that is what I see in classes.
    I taught a team tactics class back in November and had one AK in class. This same class afew years ago had three or four AK's and a couple of SIG rifles in it.
    it is what it is.

v/r

JD

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    Let me know if you want something in 223.:)
    Nah, but thanks. Even 5.45 would be a compromise. For nostalgia's sake, I'd want a 7.62x39.
    Virtute et Armis

All this talk of AKs has me wanting one again. I truth all Ive got to do is go into the vault and grab anything from a RPK to a SBR, with a few really nice full size guns in between; but now I'm jonesing for a AK pistol (braced) with a Ultimak and a Aimpoint. No it wont replace my AKs, especially not my new 300 build; I guess its the rebel in me....

I still have one AK left that was made by gunplumbr. It's set up much like Gabe's with an Ultimak rail and Aimpoint, but it's not SBR'd. I remember bringing it to my last rifle class and showing the students how it would still fire without the dust cover, and then without the recoil spring assembly. It still has a place in my safe (especially since I still have crates of ammo for it), but when you can take a stripped lower and build a quality rifle for not a whole lot, or grab a match grade upper from Gabe and end up with a REALLY nice rifle, there's no reason to be spending 4 figures for an AK.