Default CUSTOMER REVIEW: SI Raider package dramatically improved my 870

I learned the use of the combat shotgun many years ago. It is a simple and inexpensive tool, but didn't consider it a viable choice for my needs.

I later tried the Saiga because it was so much like the AK, but the box mag reload became too troublesome (a subject needing it's own thread) and I gave up on the expense of replacing the sporting stock with the AK stock/pistol grip, slicking up the action, or the waiting time to SBS, i sold it quite some time ago.

I liked the Benelli M4, but not the price, plus difficulty in getting parts and accessories. I almost reconsidered when I had the opportunity to try out a 14" version. One of the selling points was the tight choke patterns - any of my rifles were more precise than that.

SO, I stayed with the trusty 870, but still didn't like it and I looked for improvements. The factory stock was thin and uncomfortable so I changed to a Mesa Urbino, similar to that on the Benelli. The silver bead is OK for swinging on small aerial targets, but not so much when facing a bad dude with a big knife. An aftermarket fiber optic bead is better, but still lacking. I could never fInd a good way to add a light, other than the excellent/cost more than the shotgun Surefire forend.

After attending SI shotgun class with Jon Payne, I learned, yet again, "you don't know what you don't know" and rekindled my appreciation of the shotgun as a "go to" device. Besides the techniques we worked in class, I tried out Jon's Jolly Roger 870 and found the ghost ring sights were quicker to pickup than my aftermarket fiber bead. We tried out Jon's new Stakeout and appreciated both the form factor and the workmanship. Two days later, I ordered a Stakeout.

After running the Stakeout for a while, I wanted an truly improved 870. I got a new 870 with Cabelas bucks and sent to Gabe for a facelift. UPS delivered it to me last week, it was killing me to delay shooting it, but finally got to it yesterday.

Wow! This is so much better than my old 870! Where to start? The gray finish is nicely offset by the black furniture, both a sexy and deadly look. The action is smoother than a brand new 870, which should improve over the next few months. I like the Magpul but stock and forend really is the way to go, I like it much more than the Urbino on my old 870. The ghost ring/blade sights are so much easier to use than the bead. I've been working dry drills in darkened rooms and find the tritium sights a bonus. Finally, the porting makes buckshot and slugs more enjoyable to shoot. I"ll have to look for magnum turkey loads that Greg likes, and compare in ported and non-ported barrels. Ammo management (a subject deserving of its own thread) is via the 4-shell aluminum side saddle is far better than plastic versions I have used.

20171222_080207.jpg
    Lee

You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

Psalm 76:7-9

Lee

You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

Psalm 76:7-9

Great write up, nicely done.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Thank you Lee, a great historical context on your shotgun journey. That class was certainly a eye-opener. I too once had the Vepr 12, sold it off & got the 1301 which has served me well. Then Payne had to bring out the Stakeout. I've been wanting one since. The question to ponder (once I saved enough funds), is whether to ghost ring it with the rib (I know I'm opening it up for Greg) or RMR with the rib ?

We have one complete Stakeout in the safe ready to ship...in case the stocking has cash instead of coal.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters