Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    A lot to be said for "being willing" to do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcampbell View Post
    A lot to be said for "being willing" to do the work.
    Yes, she had the awareness to understand that in a major crime-ridden northeastern city, she'd best have something!

I've carried neck knives irregularly but often for a long time. It's a convenient and concealable method, but there are some big caveats. First, you need to carefully select a blade that you can easily securely access and then use effectively with either hand which really narrows down the options. Second, given it's position relative to center line, a neck knife seems like it should be easy to access, but in practice, under duress, it will flop around and can be difficult to access except proactively. Waist/belt carry is superior in every way. A folder in a hip pocket is at least a tossup even taking the blade open into consideration. I mostly carry neck knives now for utility/work blades which let me leave a defensive blade concealed at work.

The GU has a fantastic grip in my IMO. It's combination of shape and texture provide sure access and fighting grip that's pretty much maximal relative to size. I have a dozen slightly smaller gripped or smaller knives that I simply cannot access or utilize afterwards nearly as effectively. I have another dozen that are not much larger overall but that I cannot comfortably conceal and carry EDC. The GU is pretty close to a goldilocks fixed blade EDC option for me. I've found few others worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by khadga View Post
    I've carried neck knives irregularly but often for a long time ... I mostly carry neck knives now for utility/work blades which let me leave a defensive blade concealed at work.

The GU has a fantastic grip in my IMO. It's combination of shape and texture provide sure access and fighting grip that's pretty much maximal relative to size. I have a dozen slightly smaller gripped or smaller knives that I simply cannot access or utilize afterwards nearly as effectively. I have another dozen that are not much larger overall but that I cannot comfortably conceal and carry EDC. The GU is pretty close to a goldilocks fixed blade EDC option for me. I've found few others worth considering.
    "Goldilocks" fixed blade option is a powerful statement. The grip is what is getting my attention.

That Hide-Away Knife I have often worn as a neck knife is oriented towards right-hand draw.

OK y'all, after considering all these factors I've decided to go Gang Unit and I will carry waist area.

Thanks everybody!

Things I have found helpful.

Set up a range timer and practice draw and stab from various positions: standing, seated, seated and belted in a car both driver and passenger side, prone, supine. Also do this with various clothing choices. A trainer is helpful to keep from cutting yourself until you get it sorted. This will help to sort out gear and technique choices.
    Archery targets, layers of cardboard etc... can work to stab into.

I sometimes use a pell (wooden striking post) to get used to impact. This can be hard on you and your knife. A trainer is helpful. The reason to sometimes use a pell is that you may hit something hard, gun,knife etc..., on the way to meat and it would be nice to have developed/selected a grip and knife choice that lets you retain your knife and not damage your hand.
    IMHO, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcampbell View Post
    Things I have found helpful.

Set up a range timer and practice draw and stab from various positions: standing, seated, seated and belted in a car both driver and passenger side, prone, supine. Also do this with various clothing choices. A trainer is helpful to keep from cutting yourself until you get it sorted. This will help to sort out gear and technique choices.
    Archery targets, layers of cardboard etc... can work to stab into.

I sometimes use a pell (wooden striking post) to get used to impact. This can be hard on you and your knife. A trainer is helpful. The reason to sometimes use a pell is that you may hit something hard, gun,knife etc..., on the way to meat and it would be nice to have developed/selected a grip and knife choice that lets you retain your knife and not damage your hand.
    IMHO, YMMV.
    This is very helpful advice as I was debating whether to get the trainer or not. And just like a person who'd buy a thousand-dollar pistol and give it a cheap holster, I was tending towards not (lame, I know). But as you demonstrate, a knife like this demands the respect of practicing with it, so +trainer it shall be!

I have mine on a teklok horizontally mounted OWB inside my left hip handle toward my belt buckle, edge up.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Not the same knife, but similar. Exact same carry method.