Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    Plug kit, compressor, and spare tire. Sidewall damage(see quite a bit) cannot be fixed.
    Ive seen a temp field fix for sidewall tear 1.5 inches. Its WORK though:

1. Take off wheel
    2. Break bead
    3. spoon off the punctured side
    4. Insert 1.5 to 2 inch long bolt with fender washer and oversized rubber patch into hole from inside (liberally coat all with rubber adhesive)
    5. add another rubber patch, adhesive and fender washer to outside, put on nylock nut and tighten "sandwiching" the sidewall tear between the washers
    6. spoon the tire back on
    7. run ratchet strap around tread of tire and crank down (this is to help reseat the bead)
    8. Fill with air and hope you used enough adhesive
    9. if good reinstall tire
    10. hope you dont catch that bolt on the next thing you pass getting out ;)

Plan two, borrow your buddies spare (if yours is already toast.)
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Most of our roads aren't exactly "no man's land" but I still try to think ahead of catastrophe. When I traveled for work some between Anchorage and Fairbanks i carried a pile of cold weather survival items; blanket, candles, axe, extra gloves, hat, long johns, tools, wire, electric connectors, zip ties, duct tape, good quality patching and plugging kit, air pump, jumper cables, etc, etc.
    I drive a 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins. Just so y'all know most of those neat lithium battery jump packs will not jump a diesel pickup. Cars probably will. Found that out in the safety of the driveway versus on the road. Jumper cables and various tools has saved Me some money and aggravation but also helped many others too.

For instance me and a buddy were spotting for bears on the Denali Hwy (Google it) one year in May and ran across a family in an old suburban with 3 flat tires. They had 2 spares up on the luggage rack both of which were already flat too. We spent hours with them fixing flats but ended up driving the dad like 60 miles on to the end where he was able to get an old tire from a guy for too much money. Lot of people run that highway because of it's absolutely stunning scenary ..most have no preparations. Very little traffic and mostly tourists or hunters. Go prepared.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UNO View Post
    I am going to add a battery powered chain-saw to the vehicle,
    You will be glad you did. I did this a year or three ago. Best part -- you always have a chainsaw with you, where ever you go, not just for trees across the road but for any sort of job that needs to get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    You will be glad you did. I did this a year or three ago. Best part -- you always have a chainsaw with you, where ever you go, not just for trees across the road but for any sort of job that needs to get done.
    I can see the need after living in Georgia and spending time in Idaho.