Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FYI for you guys that store gas https://www.pure-gas.org/ has a list of stations/stores that sell ethanol-free/clear gas. It lasts a long time because there is no ethanol additive to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by M1A's r Best View Post
    Nothing wrong with Harbor Freight socket/wrench sets. I've never broken a socket/ratchet/wrench I bought there. Sure can't say that for Craftsmen tools. I've broken one ratchet, several sockets and screw drivers and a couple wrenches in my years of working on my own cars/trucks.

Because youíre posting this, I thought back to replacing the water pump in my truck in a gas station parking lot in November.

I broke two craftsman sockets and didnít budge the bolt.

Slapped on the harbor freight socket, bolt did what it was supposed to do and came right off.

Kind of weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris

Damn good time to see this, just got rid of the Toyota trash and pick up a newer 2500HD, this weekend the "Decked" system is going in the bed, will have plenty of room for tools now
    All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.

Samuel Butler

FACIEM TUAM, DOMINC, REQUIRAM

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJames View Post
    Damn good time to see this, just got rid of the Toyota trash and pick up a newer 2500HD, this weekend the "Decked" system is going in the bed, will have plenty of room for tools now
    Ooooo, let us know how you like the decked system. I am looking at the very same thing. An ARE cap with a decked system would be the cats ass for me. Oh yeah and a roof rack for the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    There is plenty of discussion here on WT about weapons and tactical gear carried in our vehicles. I'm curious as to what tools people carry in their vehicles beside the tactical? Due to various jobs I've rolled around with all sorts of work related tools and we can assume your vehicle is equipped with the standard jack, lug wrench etc.

What tools do you carry as a matter of SOP in your vehicle that may be out of the norm? For instance, I have a large bolt cutter in the Jeep because I've never needed it at home and can think of all sorts of scenarios where it might come in handy. What tools would you consider essential?
    I just moved where I am, now, and it's a new AO to me. I am going to add a battery powered chain-saw to the vehicle, as I was stuck behind a downed tree until enough people/someone with a chain saw arrived. If it had happened on my way to work, instead of from, it would have been a real issue. Or if it had happened on my own road, etc. and noone would have been coming to fix it. Just me.

-Air compressor
    -Jack
    -Blowout kit
    -and now a chainsaw. I want battery powered because it's not going to be capable of spilling noxious liquids into the vehicle, and because I need to cut maybe a dozen cuts, not a whole forest.

beyond what is already stated:

Boonie hat (sun and rain affect vision dealing with problems)

If the funds are available and you are going back in the sticks, a SAT phone is a real boon to you. I used the inreach tracker/messenger prior to this, but the sat phone with the same "oh S%^T" button for emergency services replaced it and allowed us to call a diesel mechanic and discuss the issue with a buddies truck on the last trip where we were 100 miles from cell service.

Also, a credit card (0 balance at least 2000 credit) and a couple hundred in cash (20s/10s) stowed somewhere in the vehicle. Was WAY out in the sticks with some friends, last gas station either direction comps went down, cash only, no atm.

You might need a tow OR you or your misses might forget your wallet/purse. Cash IN the car and a credit card CAN make the difference.

couple of tie down straps, 10 gallons fuel , 5 gallons water, small backpacking/hammock tarp .

Dont discount the tarp, I got sidelined in the no mans land between Presidio and Lajitas a few years ago when I holed a radiator on the bike in July. First thing was draping the tarp over the bars/tail of the bike and securing with rocks on both sides. Made the difference between mildly uncomfortable and dangerous while I affected a temporary repair. Works for wind/rain too. In a pinch open the doors on the side your working on , stuff the edge in and close the door, brace other side with rocks, tie to guardrail, trees brush, whatever. The five minutes it takes to set up even prior to changing a tire is worth it (and mentally allows you a "success" prior to working on the real problem).

Exposure kills faster than no water/food and staying out there in the vehicle (when a repair is possible) just slows the process a bit. If you have to ditch your ride a tarp (my 12'X9' hex packs down to a flexible half gallon jug size) is literally a lifesaver.

here is one of hundreds of examples : https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Sh...=hennessy+tarp
    Last edited by coastalcop; 04-18-2018 at 04:39 AM.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

I 4xed for a couple years, and what you experience on real rock crawling trails will redefine the way you think you are prepared. I used to just carry an extra water pump and belt, now full tool kit for the long drives. There is some pretty cool stuff if you look into the way off-roaders have their loadout. Everything for repairs including extra battery, spare jumper cables and welding rod.

What's the best option if you get a flat? I have large heavy tires. Changing a tire can be problematic.
    Air compressor and some of that "fix a flat" slime stuff?

Along with many of the items mentioned I carry barbed wire cutters in my 4x4 because here in the west all of the highways are lined by barbed wire fences. If the SHTF and traffic comes to a halt along the way they give me the option to bypass the problem without damaging my tires by running over fencing.
    GOOD GUY'S SHOOT AK'S!

The DOG HOUSE is my comfort zone!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertGuy View Post
    What's the best option if you get a flat? I have large heavy tires. Changing a tire can be problematic.
    Air compressor and some of that "fix a flat" slime stuff?
    Plug kit, compressor, and spare tire. Sidewall damage(see quite a bit) cannot be fixed.